29) She Will Be Loved

||Harry||

"Why do you go back to visit him every year if it's so awful?" I ask her once the train is moving.

"Because I'm all he has left." she answers. "I just can't abandon him."

"I think you're too forgiving."

I know she is. That's why I'm sitting here right now and I feel like an asshole for abusing that.

"At the end of the day, he's still my dad." she shrugs.

"What is he like when he's sober?"

"Serious and intense. He's a lawyer and he can make you feel like you're on trial. He's disappointed that I didn't go to law school and loves to bring that up."

"Why does it matter? You're doing what you want to do."

"He thinks I'm wasting my potential. Graduating high school two years early and getting into one of the most exclusive veterinary schools in the country doesn't matter to him, because I'm not a lawyer." she rolls her eyes

"You graduated two years early? I ask, surprised.

"Yeah, I wanted out of that house. So I buckled down and doubled up on my classes. It worked. I got to leave for Cornell when everyone else was getting their driver's license."

"And yet, you're going back."

"It's just once a year. Like I said, he's still my dad."

We arrive in Albany a few hours later. After slipping away long enough to take my meds, we hail a cab and make the short drive across town to her dad's house. We pull into the driveway of a large brick house surrounded by a variety of perfectly manicured shrubs. Arden pulls our suitcases out of the boot while I pay the driver and then we make our way to the large front door.

"My dad can be pretty abrasive. Just don't take anything he says to heart." she preps me once we reach the doorstep.

"I'm not promising anything." I answer as I knock on the door.

"Harry.." she warns, but is interrupted by the door opening.

"Dad!" she exclaims and leans in for a hug. He gives her a stiff hug as his gaze falls to me.

"This is my boyfriend, Harry." I hold my hand out to shake his. He stares at it for a moment before turning around and walking into the house.

"Sorry." she whispers

"I'm your boyfriend, huh?"

"I, I don't know, I meant..." she stammers.

"It's fine." I lean over and kiss her forehead before walking into her father's house. I'm usually not a fan of labels, but I would be lying if I said I didn't like her calling me "my" boyfriend. We walk into a large foyer and Arden is immediately greeted by an older woman.

"Arden!" she exclaims and pulls her into a hug.

"Has he got your working on Thanksgiving?" Arden asks.

"You know your dad. I'm about to leave, I just wanted to see you first." she pulls away from Arden, keeping her hands on her shoulders and looking her over. "The city really agrees with you, you look good." She turns to me. "And who is this?"

"This is my boyfriend, Harry." she flashes me a sly grin when she says 'boyfriend'. I hold my hand out to shake hers, but she pulls me into a hug.

"No, you get a hug." she says. "I'm Jane. I'm Allen's personal assistant." I assume Allen is Arden's father. He never introduced himself.