Sacrifices

KATE

Dayna and I walk downstairs and I feel my mother's suffocating gaze as I seat beside my older sister Eva and her new born baby girl. We all eat our breakfast in silence up until my mother loudly places her cutlery in her plate. She clears her throat and says " Have you gone to see the Alpha to settle your travel details?"

I glare at her and only respond "no." Simple one word answers have been what kept me alive all these years of my life. She continues eating but I know she has a lot more to say then Eva says " Well you have to you're our only chance of becoming rich." My mother scolds her and she says in return "what its true its not like you are making any effort mother." Dayna and I quickly finish breakfast and leave before it turns into a bloodbath. Dayna is now used to it so whenever this happens she makes sure to cheer me up even though I know the way I live gets to her. She has tried persuading me to come and stay with her but I always tell her that I'm fine.

Ever since my father passed away when I was ten, she has changed a lot. We no longer share anything together as a family. I love her as a mother ,but I don't like what she does for a living. While I work in the pack restaurant, Eva and mom have taken up jobs as maids for higher ranking wolves. They will do anything for money including sleeping with them. That's how Eva got pregnant. I tried convincing them to change but I guess that's their way of dealing with dad's death.

Watching all this happen is what motivated me to do better and become a better person. I would spend several days crying whenever mom brought home a different man each time. I decided to keep myself occupied as much as I could and stay away from home as much as possible. That's how I became friends with Dayna. We would spend most nights at her house and we would train  a lot during the weekend. And that is why I'm one of the best omega fighters in the pack. Dayna and I go to see her father , the Alpha and to my surprise I only have tomorrow to pack and prepare. 

I pass by a very familiar house which seems to be hosting a party. I quickly put my hoodie on and walk as fast as I can so that no one recognises me. Suddenly a hand tugs at my elbow and yanks my arm causing me to trip and fall on my ass. I furiously get up knowing its my ex, Luca.

I angrily say " What do you want Luca?" and he puts on the most charming smile I have ever seen which is probably why I fell in love with him in the first place. He whispers in my ear " I just wanted to congratulate you on your selection this is going to be interesting" I free my arm from his dirty fingers and walk away. He yells something but I ignore and put my earphones on. I try not to remember what he did to me and continue my journey home.

.........

I arrive home somewhere around midnight and for the first time ever my mother is home. I close the door and try to walk to my room before she stops me midway and asks me to sit with her. I start to feel awkward because she has never done this before and I start admiring the ceiling noticing some tiny details I never noticed were there before.

She breaks the ice and says " Kate honey, I know I have not been the best mother out there but I just want to say I'm proud of the woman you've become. You're even better than I ever will be. I just want you to do your best even if you don't end up marrying one of those high ranking wolves, follow your heart."

I reply and say" But how will I know if he's right for me?" She gave me one of the best smiles I have ever seen on her face and she says " You'll just know and honey don't ever make the same mistakes I made. Don't ever do something you don't feel like doing even if its what you have to do to win. And also I'm not forcing you to go if you don't feel like going its your choice honey."

When she says all that , I begin to see sparks of my old mother again. She engulfs me in a tight hug and she says" Don't count me for breakfast I wont be here" That is when I see that my mother is gone forever and has been replaced by this greedy woman.  I immediately make the choice to take part in these games to make sure I put my family out of their misery and make sure they will never need to beg or sleep with anyone again for money. I go to bed and await my fate.

What do you guys think of this chapter?                                                                                                                    

   And just a point to note, I think everyone deserves love because we don't know what their going through just to put food on their table. Spread the love guys.                                                  

What would you do if you were in Kate's shoes?