||32||

•Chapter Thirty-Two•
In Which I'm Freaking Awesome
(UNKNOWN LOCATION)
REWRITTEN

I stopped crying. I went still.

Mark of Death? Marked for Death?

"That's what they plan to do." I breathed out, my voice emotionless—hopeless. "One of us dies regardless."

"No," Darcy interjected, her voice stern.

"Neither of you are going to die."

I bit my lip, my tone becoming bitter, "how? How are we going to all get out of this alive?"

"You escape," the woman suddenly spoke up. "You escape before your brother gets here. I've seen a death spell like this before, who ever plans to cast it, can't if you're far enough away."

A spark of hope flickered in my chest—as did a 'duh' moment. I have magic.

"I have magic." I whispered, realizing it out loud.

Why the heck did I not remember that?

Because you suck at it and haven't been properly trained, I told myself.

"The cuffs inhibit natural magic." The woman warned but a plan was already forming my head. Yeah, I had natural, untrained magic—but I also had the Tessa Orb around my neck.

"The Orb of Tessa was an amulet that was created to protect the wearer by channeling the wearer's existing magic." I remembered Loki saying, "it protects the wearer by reacting with their emotions.  Fear, anger, sadness—anything thing that could possibly put them in danger."

"Could I break them with channeled magic? Like if I channeled my magic through something else?" I rambled, I heard the woman shift in her cell.

"It depends on what you're channeling it through—another person wouldn't but an amulet or rune stone could, perhaps, work."

An amulet.

Now I just needed to to activate it.

***

That task was harder then I first thought it would be.

I had worked myself up enough that my dress was soaked with tears and the Tessa Orb still had yet to even spark. Maybe I had to try something else? Maybe it wasn't working because I wasn't currently in danger?

I bit my lip, blinking to rid my eyes of my tears.

"Anything?" Darcy asked.

"No."

I yanked against my chains in jerked motions. "Nothing. Is. Working."

I bared my teeth, slamming back against the wall in frustration.

A spark.

I froze, my mouth falling open. I glanced down warily at my necklace which had fallen under my shirt. A faint glow illuminated my cell.

That's it!

"It's sparking!" I announced excitedly, the Tessa Orb sparked again, growing brighter.

Focusing, I squeezed my eyes shut and imagined pushing whatever magic I had into making the necklace glow brighter. I wasn't sure it was going to work but at this point I didn't care.

I felt a warm static feeling in my chest, the hair on my arms stood on end. I breathed out slowly, feeling my magic begin to pulse through my necklace. I was doing it!

Suddenly I became cold and then I was thrown forward. My eyes shot open and my hands flared out in front of myself—stopping myself from falling face first into stone. Nothing stopped me. I gapped, excitement flooding over me.

I pushed myself up, "I did it!"

I heard Darcy begin to laugh and the woman even chuckled before calling out.

"Now get the rest of us out."

I let out a breath of air as I stood. My legs were shaky but I moved quickly towards the bars of my cell, I rested my hands against the cold metal. I wouldn't have to channel my magic again since I was out of the cuffs.

I focused on the hallway outside of my cell. I imagined myself on the other side, I felt the same odd warm feeling pulse through my chest.

And then, as quick as the snap of fingers, I stood on the other side.

I stumbled.

"Lorien!" Darcy cried out in concern. I fell against her cell, the world spinning. Black spots danced across my vision and my legs wobbled.

"Haven't use much magic in the past, have you." The woman quirked, she shifted her attention to Darcy. "She'll be fine in a moment. She's just exhausted her energy."

But I wasn't going to get a moment.

Heavy footsteps against stone echoed—coming from behind the dungeon doors. Fear gripped me as I felt like a deer in headlights.

"Hide," the woman warned, panic in her voice, "there's an open cell at the other end of the hallway."

I pushed myself up, fighting against gravity. I turned and spotted the cell she was referring too. Using the wall, I pushed myself towards the open cell door.

I slipped into the cell right as the dungeon door slammed open.