Already? I Nearly Forgot

Kya returned to the apartment two hours later to find Lin asleep on the couch. A pile of pillows kept her knee elevated and the crutches lay strewn on the floor in front of the couch.

Kya's face softened while she watched her girlfriend quietly snore. She wished Lin was awake so she could apologize for storming out earlier. Not wanting to wake her though, Kya crept into the kitchen.

On the table she found a note attached to a silvery bag. She opened it and read what was inside:

For Kya
Love, Lin

Opening the bag, Kya found half a dozen cookies from her favorite bakery down the street. She sat down and bit into one, feeling the chocolate chips melt in her mouth.

She heard sounds of movement from the living room and a minute later Lin appeared in the doorway. Kya put her cookie down and turned to face her girlfriend.

"I know I was reckless," Lin said, crutching forward. "I could've just radioed the station and let another officer handle it. If I did, I wouldn't be hurt right now. I'm so sorry, Kya."

Lin remained fixed in the doorway but Kya got up and threw her arms and her.

"I'm just glad you're still alive. And I'm sorry too. For lashing out. I shouldn't have left."

Lin hugged her back with one arm, trying to keep her balance on the crutches. She tilted her head and kissed Kya on the cheek.

"Hey!" she laughed. "Aren't you still sick?"

"I actually feel fine."

Kya stepped back and put her hands on her hips. "Mhmm."

"The healing session earlier got whatever that sickness was out of my system," Lin explained.

"Ok," she said skeptically. She smiled. "Want a cookie?"

"No thanks," she replied, sitting down at the table. "Don't forget we have plans tomorrow."

"For what?"

"You told me you wanted to go on a picnic."

"I don't remember saying that."

"You said that it's always been on your bucket list, but you never got to do it. I said I didn't want to. You made me put it on the calendar anyway."

"Oh yeah," Kya said slowly, memories returning. "I did say that, didn't I?"

She got up to inspect the calendar hanging on the pantry door.

"Yup, here it is!" She turned toward Lin. "Are you okay with doing that on your crutches? We can always move it back a week or two."

"I'll be fine," she reassured her. "Do you want to go for breakfast or for lunch?"

"We can do breakfast. But if you change you mind cause your knee hurts too much, just let me know." She looked ahead to the next week. "Oh, hey! Would you look at that! Our three year anniversary is next weekend!" Kya excitedly pointed at the page.

"Already? I nearly forgot." Lin snuck a piece of Kya's cookie while her back was turned. "Has it really been that long?"

"I guess so," Kya beamed and walked back to the table. As she passed Lin, she leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Best three years of my life."

———

Later that night, the two of them made their way to bed. Kya helped Lin collect pillows and prop up her knee. She tucked in the sides of the blanket under her body, but as she did, Lin frowned.

"Kya, don't tuck me in."

"Aww, come on! You look so cute, though!" she gushed.

"No," Lin insisted.

"Fine."

She begrudgingly untucked the blanket and climbed in beside her. They said goodnight to each other and leaned in to kiss.

Lin had perfected the art of falling asleep quickly, and she was out within minutes. Kya, however, did not have the same ability. Her mind raced, going over the countless thoughts she had had that day. As she lay in bed, she recalled something she heard Lin say earlier about their anniversary: I nearly forgot.

Lin never forgot anything. Ever.

Kya tossed and turned under the blanket, feeling it twisting around her, and eventually settled on her back. She stared blankly at the white ceiling. Did Lin really forget? Maybe she had a concussion. Kya worriedly glanced over to her. She seemed fine and hadn't shown any other symptoms.

Maybe she really did just forget.

As Kya fell asleep, something tugged at her mind telling her that that just wasn't true.