I'm Something of a Healer Myself

Kya woke up the next morning to a cool breeze. She snuggled further under the blanket but the chilled air wouldn't let up.

"Reminds me of Tenzin when we were kids," she grumbled sleepily. "Never let me sleep in."

As if it could hear her, another cold gust of wind rattled the window and blew the blanket off the couch.

"Okay, okay! I get it!" Kya barked, talking to the air. "I'm getting up!"

"If Lin wanted the window open so bad, she could have at least closed the bedroom door," Kya complained to herself.

As she turned around, Kya saw that Lin's bed was empty. Trying not to jump to conclusions, she called out, "Honey, are you in the bathroom?"

No response.

Kya quickly walked to the bedroom and scanned it up and down. She poked her head in the bathroom. Lin was no where to be found. Kya returned to the bedroom and noticed the closet door slightly ajar. Lin would never do that. She was very particular about her closet always being shut all the way.

"She didn't," Kya whispered.

She approached the closet and looked inside. Confirming her worst suspicions, Lin's metal armor was gone.

"Lin, I told you you were in no condition to go to work," Kya said to the empty closet. "Spirits only know what you're doing now."

In a huff, Kya pulled on a coat and shoes. She walked out the door and slammed it shut. In her anger, she forgot to shut the window.

———

Kya entered the police station and converged on the receptionist. She was a short woman with brown hair dressed in dark gray clothes.

"Where's Lin?" she demanded, voice devoid of any warmth.

"Chief Beifong?" The receptionist look up. "She's not here."

"Is she out on some case? Bring her back here. She's too sick to work."

"What? No, the chief hasn't been here in a couple of days."

"Well, she's not at home and her armor's gone so where is she?!" Kya insisted, slamming her hands on the receptionist's desk.

At that exact moment, the doors of the police station opened. Kya whipped around, praying her girlfriend was okay. The sight before her did not help to quiet her fears.

Lin leaned against the doorknob. She held up most of her weight with her upper body. A bruise adorned her left cheek, just beginning to turn blue. Dark, dried blood was smeared across the bruise and her face. Parts of her tangled hair was encrusted on the blood. Lin tried to take another step forward and winced as she put weight on her foot. She staggered trying to keep her balance. Kya closed the distance between them. Lin fell into her arms.

"Lin," she breathed.

"Are you okay? What happened to you? Where were you?" Kya berated her with questions but stopped herself. "No, I'm sorry. Just... just sit down. Okay?"

Lin managed a nod as Kya slowly guided her into a nearby chair. The receptionist ran off, presumably to get a healer. Kya knelt before her girlfriend and cradled her beaten up face in her hands. She reached up to brush a stand of hair out of the way, but Lin winced as Kya's hand grazed her bruised cheek.

"Lin..."

"There was a robbery last night. Across the street from our apartment." Lin speech was strained but she pressed on. "I went after them but they got away. I got knocked out after hitting my head. I'm sorry, Kya."

Lin looked away, ashamed of her failure. She was caught off guard as Kya wrapped her up in a tight hug. Surprised, Lin tensed up, but Kya held on, unwavering. She slowly relaxed and accepted the hug, fiercely returning it.

They stayed locked in their embrace until the receptionist came back. Following behind her was Officer Yang, a young waterbender with the ability to heal. The two stopped hugging so Lin could listen to what they had to say.

"Chief Beifong, there is a tub waiting for you in the healing ward," the receptionist said.

"Thank you, Hana," Lin said gratefully.

She started to push herself up from the chair, struggling until Kya put her shoulder under Lin's right arm. Lin willingly shifted her weight to be supported by her girlfriend and slowly but surely, she made her way to the healing ward.

Once she was there, Lin sat on a bench to take off her armor. When she did, all she was wearing was a white tank top and shorts, and for the first time Kya could see just how bad the injury was. Lin's entire right knee was a swirling mess of blue and black. It was swollen to twice it's regular size and there was dried blood dripping down her calf.

"Lin..." Kya gasped, hands flying to cover her mouth.

"It's fine," Lin reassured her.

"No. It's not. Now get in the water before I dump it on your head for being so stubborn."

Kya helped Lin up, and they slowly crossed the few feet between the bench and the water. Kya carefully lowered her into the shallow pool. Lin sharply inhaled as the cool liquid entered her open cuts but didn't protest as she submerged herself up to her neck.

"Officer Yang, right?" Kya asked.

"Yeah, but my first name is Sula." She brushed a stray piece of hair out of her face.

"Ok, do you mind if I help, Sula? I'm something of a healer myself."

"No, of course not. It should go faster if we're both helping," Sula smiled.

The two waterbenders got to work and the water around Lin glowed a light blue. She winced but remained still. This wasn't her first time in the healing ward and she knew it would go quicker if she didn't move as much.

When Kya and Sula finished the healing session, the pain and swelling had lessened but it was still hard for her to move. As Kya helped Lin out of the water, Sula went into the closet. She emerged with a towel and a pair of crutches.

"Here," she said, offering the towel to Lin. She leaned up the crutches against the wall and pointed her thumb in their direction. "You might be needing these for a while."

"Thank you," Lin replied earnestly.