Chapter Eighteen

Drowning is never fun, but Shayne's drowned before, a couple times, and the smug Mermaid is always quick to remind the Knight that she is alive because of her. And this time will be no exception.

Shayne's chest still hurts from the painful compressions and her mouth tastes of salt and something sweet that she still doesn't have a name for, that Zeke has affectionately called 'sucking face with a moody mermaid with a complex', and her head is pounding.

When she woke, expelling the copious amount of fluid in her lungs, her back arching off of the floor as her body fought the healing incantation, numb limbs burning as circulation returned to them, her only concern was for Vee and his well-being. Desperately she clawed at the floor, trying to pull herself away from the smug Mermaid, her head painfully rolling, bridging her off of the floor. When the stinging, blinding tears eventually subsided she was looking into the burning violet eyes of the man squatting down across from her, his head tilted to the side, face as hard and unreadable as stone.

"And, once again, you owe your life to me, Knight. Don't forget it," Adrienne mused, dusting her hands off as if touching the young woman was disgusting.

Shayne slumped back to the ground and choked and gasped for air, her lungs starving for it. She instinctively reached out for Vee but he stood and walked around her and out of the room, leaving the girl cold, alone and very confused.

"Are you alright?" Zeke whispered, handing her a cup of tea before flopping down on the floor next to her in front of the fireplace in the library.

She nodded with a fabricated smile that he saw through, as she intently watched the dancing, heatless flames in the fireplace. "My chest hurts is all," she assured him. "Those damn Mermaids like to play tonsil hockey and grab ass whenever the chance presents itself," she informed.

Zeke laughed, nodding his agreement even though they both know that she's putting up a strong and jovial front. "Dad will be back soon with some pastries, that'll cheer you up."

"Maybe," she whispered, bringing the cup to her lips. "Where is everyone?" she asked before taking a sip.

"Pele is passed out. You know as well as I do that swimming always kicks his big ass...which is ironic since he comes from a damn island, but whatever. Langley is dry humping the librarian's leg as usual, the Salvias are recouping with beer and ice cream...you're specifically asking about Vee, aren't you?"

She shrugged and nodded at the same time. "I think he's pissed at me," she mouthed, looking over at Zeke.

"You scared him," he whispered, draping his arm across her shoulders and gave her a reassuring squeeze. "Remember the first time you drowned and that temperamental Mermaid brought you back? That really messed with me and Maddox. I slept on your floor for two weeks afterward, remember?"

"Yeah," she mumbled. "This feels different though. Like...I don't know, he looked so..." her words trailed off since she couldn't find them and rested her head against Zeke's.

"Just give him time to process it, Shea," Zeke whispered, hugging her. "It'll be okay," he said even though they both know that it's a lie.

****

Omniel's knee bounced wildly and he cracked his knuckles as he anxiously waited on a park bench under a tunnel of trees in Central Park. Zeke and Shayne both confirmed that they saw three distinct figures watching the fray on the docks. And when those figures left, the shadow army lost the connection to the Abyss before Adrienne swept through the area, cleaning up the mess and sending the rest of the shadows back where they came from.