narrowly missing each other 101

Anjali's hair stretched out like the arms of a drugged octopus and danced enthusiastically in the wind. She tried to contain it, regretting not having a handy claw clip or hair tie with her. When the auto rickshaw driver laughed at her struggle, she gave up and allowed her hair permission to go crazy. It was refreshing to feel the abundance of clean air surrounding her, to see the lush green paddy fields stretching out on both sides of the worn out grey road.

She closed her eyes and breathed in the essence of such greenery. Hope and promise was in the air and she was going to hold onto it tight. Because she needed it. She needed the change.

She hadn't been to her grandmother's house since three years old. She had no idea where it was and how it looked. The driver picked up that she was a typical urban girl and took pity on her. He stopped by a tea shop and asked for her grandmother's name.

"Lalitha Devi."

The man in the tea shop, pouring milk into a cup from a height, said, "Lalitha ma? Take a left from here, second right just before the big tamarind tree and the immediate right again. Fourth house is hers."

"Thanks, anna," Anjali said.

"Who are you?" The tea shop owner asked.

"Her granddaughter."

"She'll be happy. She's always been alone in her house. It'll feel nice to have company. Are you staying?"

"Yes."

"How long?"

Anjali scrunched up her nose. He was being awfully nosy. Why did he want to know everything? She would have said something snarky but she swallowed it, reminding herself that this was a small town and she had to live here for a few months. She couldn't afford enmity. Not in the first day, at least.

"For a few months. I am not sure," Anjali replied honestly. The tea shop owner nodded and that was the cue for the auto driver to zoom past.

Her grandmother's house was painted cream, with brown wooden pillars and a matching tiled roof. In front of the entrance, there was a simple rangoli, carelessly filled with colour. Potted plants lined the inner veranda, where a wooden indoor swing hung from the roof. Her grandmother was weaving flowers next to the swing when she stepped out of the auto.

"Anju?" her frail whisper came as she struggled to get up from her place and walk towards her. "Anju! Kanna, how beautiful you've become!"

Anjali's eyes watered. She had always loved her paternal grandparents but because of her mother's feud with them, she never let her visit them. Her father sneaked in calls from them whenever her mother wasn't there and made sure she kept in touch with them. But that was the extent of it. Hearing each other's voices, rare video calls and pictures exchanged from time to time. She missed her time with her grandfather but she was happy she got the opportunity to spend time with her grandmother now. Better late than never.

"Paati!" she sobbed, hugging her close. She smelled like tulsi and turmeric. "I missed you!"

They cradled each other for a while and then her grandmother took her sling bag from her shoulders. "Come in, come in."

Anjali dragged her suitcase while the auto driver brought in two duffel bags. Her grandmother showed her her room and gave her some space to set it up.

"Once you are settled in, go take a bath. Let's go to the temple today."

"So early?"

"This is not early, Anju. Half a day is over. Come on." She smiled, patting her head before leaving her room. "I've asked for groceries. It'll be delivered any minute now. I'll make you breakfast."