Chapter 11 | The Ivion of Hell

A day had passed since the big announcement. All the parents left the academy and the students were sent to pack their things—well, everything that was left from the damage caused by the demon attack. The AOP finished repairing the academy and Headmaster Angelo hosted a final dinner for all the students.

The news of the Chosen being among them brought an electric energy that buzzed within the room, unable to be contained. The news already broke out to the public. Journalists raved over who the next Chosen possible could be. Many professors and seniors started to greet Remigius in the hallways; Yun and Maven received similar treatment. It was a strange feeling.

Once Remigius packed his suitcase for two weeks' worth of break, he met up with Yun and Maven at the airship platform. Yet, in the corner of his eye, he spotted Malachi's hair gleaming like an iron coin through the diffusion of the moonlight. Unexpectedly, Eugene was close behind. Remigius dismissed himself for a few minutes, wanting to bid the two at least a good break since they were taking the next airship.

He regretted his decision early on. 

"How can the Chosen be one of you losers?"

Malachi ruffled up Remigius's hair; he barely could escape his grip. He could only retort with a "shut up," but it had no effect. Even with a busted nose, Malachi continued being an asshole and teased him.

"Let him be," Eugene chuckled. "That could be your future Chosen right there."

"Better it to be Remigius than any other of these fuckers." Malachi gestured vaguely at the students piling onto the airships, ready to leave for an early winter break. "Seriously, it better not be Estelle. Fuck, the demons better take over if that happens."

Eugene glared at him. It was the first time Remigius had seen him peeved. "Do you ever stop talking about Estelle?" 

"The fuck are you saying? I don't talk about Estelle that much."

"Yes, you do."

"No I fucking don't."

"You do."

"Shut the fuck up—"

"You shut up—"

Remigius really regretted lingering back to say his goodbyes to the two seniors.

"Enjoy your break," Remigius said. "That's all I had to say."

"You too." Malachi and Eugene ceased their bickering. "Come visit here too at the academy."

"You're staying back here?" Earlier in the dinner, the Headmaster noted how the academy was free for anyone to stay back for the break. Typically, the seniors would spend the time cramming for their finals during this time, but with exams pushed back, Remigius didn't think many would take up the offer, especially Malachi of all people. "What about your family?"

He shrugged. "My parents can keep each other company. I would rather stay here with Eugene."

"Are you not going to see your family too?" Remigius asked Eugene.

"I'd rather not see my family."

Remigius understood Eugene far more with those six words than with his month of training with him. He gauged Eugene's face, detecting nothing but subtle bitterness from the slight curl of his lips. 

Despite that, Eugene smiled rigidly. "Keep training, Remigius. I expect you to be able to control your Ivion next time I see you."

"Hey, don't put so much pressure on him!"

Remigius shrugged. "I'll beat you next time."

"I don't doubt it. Nice work by the way with that demon," Eugene added, "I don't think I ever mentioned, but you were brilliant."