016 Playing With Fire

CHAPTER SIXTEEN . Playing With Fire

 Playing With Fire

"Be Nice.", she warned.

"I'm always nice."

October gave him a blank look, "No you're not.", she deadpanned. After ten minutes of distractions, she finally managed to pick out an outfit and get dressed. Dolan drove both October and Maeve, the directions up on her phone as she directed him where to go. October had control of the music - as always and played Taylor Swift, Dolan complained about the choice but she told him to 'stop hating fun'.

"What the fuck, yes I am.", he scoffed. They were now standing outside Elijah's front door, Maeve stood quietly behind them like an awkward child - watching as her parents argued. Wondering if they were going to get a divorce. It wasn't a serious argument, just October trying to make sure that he acted properly and Dolan insisting that he was always on his best behaviour. At the exclamation, she gave him an unimpressed look with an eyebrow raise - his statement only proving her point and he sighed and nodded, "I'll be nice, I promise."

"No talking about History, they won't care.", she added.

"Any other rules?", he asked in boredom. Thinking she was being a little too serious. October knew that he didn't like to be told what to do and especially when she was pointing out his tendency to be obliviously rude. He got defensive whenever she'd bring it up. Probably knew she was right but stubbornly disagreed because he didn't want to admit to it.

She pretended to think for a moment and then nodded, "I think that about covers it.", she said as though she was still in thought trying to decide if there was anything else to add.

He rolled his eyes at her and asked, "So can we knock now?" pointing at the door in front of them. She took a deep breath and nodded. "Thank you.", he said in relief for the scolding being over and knocked on the door.

Elijah, who knew that October hated being late, assumed she wasn't coming. He told her she could show up whenever she wanted but since she hadn't arrived at eight (when he had told her it was officially starting) he thought she wasn't going to show up. Not that she was obligated to. He would still enjoy hanging with his friends, he was disappointed but it wouldn't ruin his night. Then ten minutes turned into twenty and he was convinced that she decided not to come. Through, Maeve wasn't there either so that still gave him some hope. It was more likely that October wasn't coming and Maeve was just running late.

He had been talking to Kennedy and Josh subtly trying to ask them questions ask October's boyfriend. He couldn't help but think that the only reason she wouldn't come would be because of him. It was only natural to try and figure out what he was like. Though, he couldn't imagine October doing anything she was told. She wouldn't let her boyfriend tell her what she could and couldn't do, she wasn't like that. So maybe it was her choice not to come. He still wanted to know more about her boyfriend, "So what's October's boyfriend like?", he tried to casually mention (he was too casual where it only emphasised how much he was interested in knowing). He was looking at the drink in his hand fingers twisting the tab off the can.