006 Odd Socks

CHAPTER SIX . Odd Socks

     Elijah kept looking at his phone, each time it just displayed the time and he would put it back down only to pick it up again a couple second later

He couldn't help but anxiously wait - October was coming over. Well, she texted him saying 'I'll let you know if I can make it . . . btw this is October'. He didn't know how she got his number, though somehow it didn't surprise him. Her message was what caused him to continuously check to see if he had gotten a notification (he hadn't). He tried to act like he didn't care, replying with 'It's alright if you can't. He really hoped she could - his thoughts contradicting what he had told her.

He couldn't stop thinking about her. Wondering if she liked more of the same music that he did, or if it was just Bob Dylan that they had in common - which, to be honest, had been enough to make him like her. Something about liking the same music made him instantly feel connected to her.

She was confident but not to the extent where she was obnoxiously cocky, a perfect amount that he found attractive. Knowing exactly who she was and not ashamed of it - not distastefully arrogant. Funny without trying, just her laugh alone made you want to do the same - it was contagious.

She was gravitational, pulling him towards her. October was someone he wanted to spend more time with, she was like an addiction. He had gotten a taste of what it was like to be in her presence and he was desperate to experience it again. It seemed like she was everything he could ever possibly want, she was very everything that he liked.

Last time Kennedy had come over Elijah had told her to bring her friends again - hoping that October would be included in that. She was, he was elated. Trying to seem casual but celebrating inside. She took her shoes off again and he noticed that she was wearing odd socks, one striped and the other spotty - he asked her about it and she just said her Grandad told her it was good luck.

He thought it was extremely cute.

October always wanted to be where the most fun was being had, where the action was. He liked that about her, he was the same - always chasing laughter. Never enjoying a dull moment. It just didn't help when he wanted to talk to her alone when she was joking always with someone else. There hadn't been a moment where she wasn't finding an opportunity to be surrounded by people - she had the most fun when with people she liked.

She had spent most of the time sitting on a sofa with Rob, Ryan and Lola - all three laughing at something. He listened hoping to find a place where he could interject and add something to the joke, wanting to make October laugh. Wanting her attention on him, not anyone else - disheartened when he spent too much time overthinking to get a word in. She didn't even notice, he was desperate for her to notice him.