Chapter 21

Sweat built up on my scrunched forehead as I tried to sort through the mess on the floor

Sweat built up on my scrunched forehead as I tried to sort through the mess on the floor. The pieces of wood, nails, nuts and bolts laid out in front of me made no sense and I grabbed the instruction manual for the third time in thirty minutes, trying to understand exactly what I was struggling to understand.

Why did I agree to this?

"JK, look at your face. Is it that stressful?" my dad's amusement was evident in his voice, which was unsteady from the laughter he was holding in.

I laughed too, shaking my head as I put the manual back down. "Hey, I'm not the one who was involved in the reconstruction of major cities in this country. Obviously this is easy for you, Papa."

"I guess so. But I was behind the architecture and construction, which was much tougher than reading and following a few instructions. Son, this is a baby's cot, it's not even a whole house."

"Which is why I don't get why I can't just put these few pieces together." I said hysterically.

"Maybe we should take a break?"

I was all too eager to take that break. He and I had been putting together the furniture pieces for the baby's nursery for a few hours now. Well, my dad was mostly doing the work, with three shelves already on the wall within the first hour of me agreeing to help him out. He was done putting together a chest of drawers in the time it took me to tell the difference between a nut and a bolt. It was ridiculous, and hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at all the jabs he was throwing my way about how stressed I was.

As if she had some sort of sixth sense, Nella's name flashed on my screen as soon as we agreed to take a break. I answered eagerly, and my dad noticed, his eyes growing curious when I said her name. I engaged Nella in a quick conversation about what she should bring to Chi's house later—we would be joining the others there for a Bring and Share.

I got off the phone and almost laughed at my dad's face. I could tell he was itching to ask about Nella, but he stopped himself. I knew the source of his hesitation too, the bitterness in the words I'd said to him at the hospital was still fresh in my own mind. I was glad to say that I no longer nursed such thoughts.

"So, you have plans for today?" my dad chose to say, clearly picking the safer topic.

"Yes, Nella and I are meeting up at Chi's house. We're  gonna be chilling with our other friends."

"Oh, okay. That sounds like fun. That Nella girl is so sweet."

"You only met her once, Papa." I laughed.

"Yes, but that was enough for me to know she's a sweet girl. She actually offered to get me food as well, that day at the hospital, can you believe it?"

I knew Nella enough now that I actually could believe that. She was really selfless and compassionate, so it didn't shock me. What did shock me was that she'd been willing to buy my dad a meal after everything she'd already done that day. She had such a big heart, and I really appreciated that about her.