Chapter 8

I navigated the UKV campus with ease, making my way to Ketura's dormitory

I navigated the UKV campus with ease, making my way to Ketura's dormitory. My sister had just written her final exam of the year and was waiting for me to drive her home for recess.

By the looks of things, Ketura couldn't wait to get out of that dorm room. When I pulled up in front of the building she was pacing the entrance, waiting to spot my car. I smirked. Some things never changed. Ketura, the baby of the family, had always hated school. I was convinced that the only reason she was even attending the University of Kisho Valley now was because of the hard work and sacrifice our mom put towards saving for our tertiary education. None of us ever wanted to disappoint her.

When Ketura spotted me, she literally shrieked and ran with her bags to the boot. I doubted I'd ever seen anyone so eager to leave campus.

"Whew, Nella! You're finally here! What took you so long?" she demanded as she buckled herself into the passenger seat.

"Girl, relax. I said I'd be here at 10. It's 9:52." I said with a fond smile and a shake of my head.

"I know. I just can't wait to get out of here."

"Is school that bad, Kay?" I asked her.

"Nells, you wouldn't understand. You got to do things you loved when you were here at UKV. I have to wait for the holidays because I don't even have time to breathe. This degree has me in a chokehold."

I understood her plight. For someone who hated school, she sure picked a demanding degree. In the two years that she'd been in university, her undergraduate criminology and law degree had proven to be a big source of stress. She complained about it a lot, but the plethora of crime dramas and true crime documentaries she loved to watch was evidence that she was just following her calling. She was where she belonged, and she just had to push through the final year of her degree in the coming year so she could finally dive into the fun stuff; articles and practicals.

"Well at least you get to do that now." I said, driving towards the main exit.

"Yeah. The KCCSC is about to be sick of me." she said with a twinkle of excitement in her eye.

Ketura's favourite extracurricular activity growing up was ice skating and the KCCSC's ice rink was therefore her favourite place in the world. She was so ready to get back on the ice that she opted to spend majority of recess staying with me so she could easily travel to the center.

"Enough about me. What's new with you, sisi?" she asked as she pulled her mini twists into a bun on the top of her head.

"Same old, same old. I've been working and volunteering, hanging out with Namiko, all that stuff."

Just then, my phone buzzed with an incoming message. I always left my hands free settings on when I drove so I knew what messages and emails came in. I did this to avoid missing important work correspondence, since I'd often work for as many as five different brands at the same time.