Chapter 7

"Bruh

"Bruh. Are you even listening to me?" Koffi's voice made its way into my thoughts and reminded me where I was. We were at the KCCSC, working out, shooting practice hoops and chatting with Chi and Akim.

"What? Sorry, I was distracted." I said from the workout bench I was sitting on.

"Uhh, yeah. We can all see that. What are you so busy with on your phone?" Chi chimed in, trying to get a peep at my screen.

"Nothing, I was just finishing something up on my phone."

It was a couple of hours after the lunch date with the girl in the shorts. I'd just remembered that I owed her those pictures, so looking through them while I sent them had distracted me.

"Finishing something that has you smiling like a little girl?" Akim asked with a grin on his face.

"What?" I said, acting oblivious.

"We all saw you, H. Spill the beans, bro." Chi said.

I sighed and ran a hand over my face.

"Okay. I took someone out for lunch today." I confessed.

"You did?" Akim's voice was laced with a little too much disbelief for my liking.

"Who?" Chi went next, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Uh... Nella Lola."

Koffi whistled and slapped my shoulder while Akim and Chi gave each other side eyes.

"I knew it!" Koffi said.

"What?!" Akim and Chi exclaimed in unison.

"As in Nells, who took you to the hospital last week?" Akim asked, dumbfounded.

"I thought you said she brushed you off. And that you two didn't talk much on the ride from the airport." Chimwemwe said.

"All this is true." I nodded. "Last night though, I asked her to come to lunch with me, just to repay her kindness and get to know her a bit more. I didn't expect much from her, but she said yes."

"She said yes? And how did that go?" Akim asked. The way he was acting, you would think he just found out LeBron James invited him to his house for dinner.

"Obviously it went well, this guy couldn't stop smiling at his phone long enough to engage in an important conversation with us." Koffi replied with a huge grin on his face. "Come to think about it, man, you've probably been checking her out for a while. No wonder you seemed so territorial that night in Rwanda when I saw her entering the restaurant..."

"Dude. You're looking too much into it." I chuckled, "We had lunch today, talked and laughed. I took pictures of her for her influencer thing. I just sent them to her. She's a gorgeous girl, even a blind man can see that, so that's what had me smiling just now. That's it."