Chapter 5: Paris

(A/N: wanted to say there is a bit of lemon/smut in this chapter. You have been warned.)

"You are a child of the Belarus...an orphan of our tribe..." Katia said as a couple of men walk in, carrying a bar that was holding a cauldron filled with hot liquid metal. "You are bound to us as we are to you...in this life and the next." Katia said as they set the cauldron on a pedestal then John places his left arm close to the markings on the side where it was red hot and Katia did the same on the other side of the cauldron with her left arm.

"Your blood...is my blood." Katia said. "Your pain...is my pain." John recites. "Your life...is my life." Katia said and both of them places their forearms close to the marking and shoved them against it, burning the mark on their flesh. They pull their arms back and then they were handed a shot glass of a drink.

"Welcome back, Jardani." Katia said and they down their shot then the priest pours the vodka over their burn marks then another shot. "The Ruska Roma will support your challenge. Who will be your Second?" Katia asked him.

Few days later, John and (y/n) walk out to an open area between two buildings, the Eiffel Tower off in the distance against the foggy sky. They walk up to a table where there were a few guards, the Marquis, the Harbinger, Caine and Winston stand by a table.

John takes off his suit jacket then reveals the Crest on his arm to the Harbinger. He nods in approval and John rolls his sleeves up and the Marquis takes a chair across from one side. The table had twelve cards face down on both sides of the table.

John, after putting his jacket back on, takes the seat across from the Marquis and (y/n) walks over to Winston, who gestures for her to take the seat he was leaning against. "Under the Old Laws, only one can survive. Do you both understand that?" The Harbinger asked and both John and Marquis nod.

"Very good. Rules. The Challenged chooses first. Time?" Harbinger asked. "Sunrise." Marquis replied and he flips a card, revealing an number 8 on it. "Now." John said and he flips his card over, revealing a 3. "Sunrise." Harbinger confirmed. "Location?" Harbinger asked. 

"You come here thinking there is a way out of this world for you, Mr Wick? There is not." Marquis said then he reaches out to one of the cards. "Le Centre Pompidou." Marquis said and he flips the card, revealing a 4. "Sacré Coeur." John said and he flips one of his cards, revealing a 10.

"Sacré Coeur." Harbinger confirmed. "Weapons?" 

"If you win, The Table will honor its word. You will have your freedom. But you won't take it." Marquis said and (y/n) balls up her fist, she really didn't like the Marquis very much. The arrogance and the smarmy attitude he oozed out.

"Blades." Marquis said as he flips another card, a 14. "Pistols." John said and he flips another card, a 23. "Dueling pistols. Thirty paces. In the event that both parties survive, each will approach the other at increments of ten paces until only one remains. Rules of engagement." The Harbinger said. "No quarter." John replied.

"You know why you won't take your freedom? Because this is who you are, who you've always been. You are a killer. An orphan we plucked from the street and honed into a knife. And it is the killing that gives you purpose. A man without purpose...is nothing." Marquis taunts to John before he addresses The Harbinger. "No quarter." He said.

"No quarter. If there is nothing else, gentlemen, I will see.." the Harbinger started to say but Marquis speaks up. "A nomination." He said and John looks over at Harbinger, who also seemed surprised by this, then he looks over at John. "It is his right. Do you have a name?" Harbinger asked Marquis. "Caine." Marquis said as he nods over to Caine, who was sitting a chair off the to the side and didn't look very happy about being nominated.