Slipped Away

Emily sat on the edge of Erin's hospital bed, her fingers absently tracing the edge of the blanket. The room was quiet while their parents slept, the soft beeping of the machines serving as a constant reminder of the reality they were in. Erin's eyes were closed, her face still pale from the ordeal she had endured.

"You're going to be okay, Erin," Emily whispered, her voice a mix of reassurance and her own lingering fear.

Erin's eyes fluttered open, and a weak smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "I know, Em. We made it through."

As Emily managed a small smile, her unease still lingered. She had been told that Marcus was handcuffed to a bed somewhere in the hospital, under constant watch. But the news of his presence had cast a shadow over the sense of relief she should have felt.

As she sat there, Emily overheard two nurses conversing nearby. Their hushed tones didn't escape her ears. "Did you hear about those poor girls who were kidnapped?" one nurse said.

"Yeah, they're both here in the hospital. Can you believe that?"

Emily's heart raced as she listened to their conversation. She glanced over at Erin, who was still resting, unaware of what was being said. Emily was worried because if she could hear their discussions, Marcus could as well if they weren't careful.

Unbeknownst to Emily, Marcus was in his hospital room, his mind racing with the new information he had just acquired. He too heard his nurse's discussions as they stood outside of his room. His ears had perked up at the mention of his victims being in the same hospital. He had been restrained by handcuffs, but his mind was as sharp as ever.

He discreetly observed the nurse's movements as she jotted something down on her pad of paper. As she turned to leave, a small paperclip fell from the pad and landed on his bed. Marcus's lips curled into a triumphant smile.

Hours later, Marcus managed to free one of his hands from the handcuffs using the paperclip. He winced at the pain from his dog bite wound as he worked. Once his hand was free, he used it to unlock the other cuff around his ankle. He glanced at the officer who was stationed in his room, seemingly dozing off in a chair.

Moving as silently as a shadow, Marcus crept closer to the sleeping officer. He swiftly took the officer's gun from its holster, the cold metal giving him a sense of power. As he pointed the gun at the officer, he whispered, "Don't make a sound."

The officer's eyes snapped open, his face paling as he saw the gun pointed at him. Fear filled his eyes as Marcus ordered him to stand and strip off his uniform. The officer, a rookie, complied, his trembling hands fumbling with the buttons.

With the officer now standing before him in nothing but his underwear, Marcus grinned maliciously. "Cuff yourself to the bed, officer," he hissed.

"Look, you don't have to do this. You'll be caught within minutes," The officer stated with his voice quivering from fear.

"And, you'll be dead within minutes if you don't do as I say," Marcus whispered. 

The other officer stationed outside of his room left for coffee, while Detective Jacobs and another officer remained by the girls, giving Marcus the opportunity to complete his daring escape. 

Tears welled in the officer's eyes as he obeyed. He was young, barely in his twenties, and the fear was evident in his trembling form.

With the officer securely cuffed to the bed, Marcus dressed in the stolen uniform, his heart racing with adrenaline. He slipped out of the room without making a sound, blending in with the bustling hospital staff who never noticed it was him.

Marcus kept his eyes down as he nodded at each passing nurse, escaping like a thief in the night.

Fifteen minutes passed after Marcus slipped out before the officer was discovered. Panic spread through the corridors as the hospital went into lockdown. Emily's heart hammered in her chest once the news traveled to her and Erin. Detective Jacobs was at her side, his expression determined.

"We'll find him, Emily," he said, his voice resolute.

Minutes later, the hospital was in chaos as news spread of Marcus's escape. Emily's frustration boiled over, and she raised her voice at Detective Jacobs. "He was right here, and you let him slip away!" she exclaimed.

Detective Jacobs's jaw tightened, his eyes filled with determination. "We'll catch him, Emily. I promise. He can't get far."

"Well, you obviously don't know him very well, do you?" Emily mocked with disdain.

Emily and Erin's parents stood vigilant, as they stood to protect their daughters. 

Emily whizzed past her father, "This is all your fault!" She yelled as she made her way to the door.

"Emily, where are you going? You have to stay here," Detective Jacobs demanded.

"Why, he's just going to find me eventually. Why not give him what he wants?"

Emily stormed down the hall as the sounds of Erin's cries for her to stop halted her mid-stride. She wanted to draw out her captor, but her best friend's pleas drew her back.

"Find this asshole," Emily demanded as she glared at the detective. 

Meanwhile, Marcus had managed to flee the hospital and find a new vehicle to steal. His mind was consumed with thoughts of reuniting with Emily, of finishing what he had started. He was elusive, cunning, and driven by his sick obsession.

As the hours passed, Emily and Erin's unease grew. They were told that Marcus couldn't get far, but they had underestimated his resourcefulness and determination. The hospital was in a state of confusion, but Marcus had managed to slip through the cracks once again, leaving behind a trail of fear and uncertainty.

Emily held onto Erin's hand tightly, her eyes fixed on the hospital door. The nightmare wasn't over, and she knew that as long as Marcus was out there, they were still in danger.