Head Start

Emily's voice trembled as she pleaded with Marcus, "Please, let them go. They have nothing to do with this. They're innocent."

Marcus's eyes bore into Emily's with a mixture of amusement and cruelty. "Innocence is a fragile concept, my dear. But you're right, they're not players in my game... yet."

Maria's voice quivered as she spoke, her fear noticeable. "Please, just let us leave. We won't tell anyone about any of this."

Marcus's manic laughter echoed through the room. "Oh, you won't tell anyone? That's a good one."

As if to mock their desperation, Marcus turned on the television. The screen filled with the grim faces of law enforcement officers, urging the public to lock their doors and report any suspicious activity. The walls seemed to close in on Marcus as he watched, realizing that his twisted game might be coming to an end.

He turned his gaze back to Charles and Maria, a twisted smile playing on his lips. "You know, you should've seen this coming earlier. But it's too late for that now."

Charles's face paled as he stammered, "We didn't know. We swear we didn't know."

Marcus's laughter cut through the tense air. "Ignorance is not an excuse in my world."

Marcus assured the group they were staying put. Minutes turned to hours then fell to night once more. During that time, Marcus taunted each one, tied to one another back to back in chairs, only being let up to use the restroom. Marcus bounced from window to window, peeking through the blinds to see if the police were making it up the long driveway. He knew he made it hours away, but felt they would eventually find their new hiding spot. Just as quickly, Marcus's worry turned to incessant laughter as his mind began to spiral out of control even further.

The terror in the room was felt by all, a suffocating weight that seemed to press down on everyone present. Emily and Erin, who had endured Marcus's torment once before, exchanged a glance filled with a shared understanding of the horrors they were facing.

Suddenly, Marcus's eyes gleamed with a maniacal light. "A new game, my darlings. A game where you run, and I hunt. A head start of sixty seconds. If I catch you, it's over."

Charles and Maria looked at each other, their faces etched with disbelief and dread. The reality of their situation seemed to sink in, and their eyes brimmed with tears.

Emily's heart pounded in her chest as the cruel game unfolded before them once again. The odds were stacked against Charles and Maria – there were no nearby woods, only a fading barn, and distant trees. Emily and Erin exchanged a knowing look, their shared determination evident.

Marcus's voice was a sickening mix of excitement and menace as he untied each of his victims. "Your time starts now."

In an instant, the room erupted into a flurry of movement. Charles and Maria fled towards the barn, their footsteps echoing in the night. Emily and Erin took off in the opposite direction, their breath coming in ragged gasps.

The darkness seemed to envelop them, a shroud of uncertainty that threatened to swallow them whole. Emily's heart pounded in her ears as she and Erin raced through the night, seeking refuge and safety. Fear and adrenaline coursed through their veins, propelling them forward.

Meanwhile, Charles and Maria's hurried footsteps led them toward the rickety barn. Their breaths were labored as they stumbled through the darkness, driven by a desperate need to survive.

As Emily and Erin darted behind a cluster of trees, they exchanged a silent look. The game had become a fight for their lives, a battle they were determined to win. They huddled together, their eyes scanning the shadows for any sign of Marcus.

In the distance, the sound of footsteps grew louder, and Charles and Maria's figures faded into the darkness, their faces etched with terror. The barn had provided no sanctuary, and their options were dwindling.

They knew Marcus could determine where they were with so few options on their property.

Emily's voice was a whisper as she urged Erin, "We need to help them. We can't let Marcus do this to them. When is this going to end? There are four of us and one of him. If we can make it to Charles and Maria, the four of us can take him on. I did it by myself before."

"He has a gun," Erin urged, "He will kill all of us.

Even though the odds were stacked against Marcus with four to one, the prospect of the gun-wielding lunatic taking aim kept everyone hidden at that time.

"We have to go," Erin urged, "I know they're innocent, but we have to make it out. We're in the middle of nowhere."

"Erin, we can't just leave them, "Emily whispered.

"I can't do this anymore," tears accompanied by fear began to consume Erin.

"Pull it together, Erin. If he wanted to kill us, he would have already. He's playing with us. He wants us to break. I've been through this. We just play until we can get away. But, we can't leave Charles and Maria."

Erin nodded in agreement, her eyes filled with resolve. Together, they formulated a plan, using their knowledge of Marcus's game to their advantage.

The seconds ticked by, the night air heavy with tension. The four of them remained hidden in the darkness, waiting for the next move, for a chance to outwit their sadistic captor.

In the midst of the darkness, a spark of determination ignited within Emily and Erin. They were determined to survive, overcome the odds, and ensure that Marcus's reign of terror would come to an end. And as they huddled, united in their fight for freedom, a flicker of hope began to burn in Emily.