↳ ONE

↳ CHAPTER ONE:

CHAPTER ONE:

WHERE AM I?

I STARED BLANKLY AT
the white wall in front of me, trying to think of something, anything.

"Damn it," I yelled. I hit the wall with my fists, cursing the world. I stopped my movements for a moment to hear footsteps. The footsteps eventually walked away, I could finally breath. "Why, why can't I remember anything?"

I closed my eyes, waiting for a personal memory to come to the surface. Nothing. I couldn't remember where I came from nor could remember what my family was like. All I could remember was the Academy I came from and how Strucker had captured me before I could finalise my position as an assassin.

"Maybe that was for the best."

I heard something hitting the wall of my cage. I screamed, "who's out there? Where am I?"

"Hello?" I gasped, backing away from the wall. The voice had belonged to a male, someone with an accent.

"Who's there?"

"My name is Pietro, what is yours?"

I let my body fall to the floor, finally relieved that someone else was out there. I hadn't seen anyone for months. Food would be placed in my room when I was asleep and I had gaps in my memory that I knew were because of this place. The person here... Who ever captured me had taken me and... experimented on me.

"M-My name is Lenny. Where are we?"

"We are in Sokovia."

I choked, "Sokovia?"

"Yes, it is my home. Are you another volunteer?"

"N-No, I was captured."

Minutes passed and the boy, Pietro, didn't reply. I panicked. "Pietro?! Are you there?"

Nothing. He had left, something happened to him.

I was all alone.

◎ ◎ ◎

Months passed, and every once in awhile, I heard Pietro on the other side of the wall.

One day I had the courage to talk to him again.

"P-Pietro? Are you there?"

I heard a pause in his movement until his footsteps approached the wall. "Lenny?"

"W-What happened to you?"

"They changed me, I'm a miracle they say." I frowned at what he said. They? Miracle?

"What do you mean miracle?"

"Lenny, we're here because they need people to experiment on. We're test subjects for a new and better world. We're going to be the next step: we're going to be advanced humans."

"That's not true," I snapped at him, hitting the wall. "They captured me and took my memories!"

"Lenny, they take some of your memories, the bits of your past you don't want or when they experiment on you... it's gone."

I pushed away from the wall and fell to the floor.

"N-No, Pietro. I've been here for months and nothing has happened to me! I'm going to die in here."

"No, you've been taken and experimented on. You're lucky you survived." His accent was thick and I took a deep breath. His accent was beautiful, I had thought of talking to him again, to anyone.

I shook my head even though he couldn't see me. "I'm no different than I was before."

"Are you sure about that?"

I looked around my white cell, shaking. I gasped as I took in the single wall of mirror. I pushed myself off of the ground to look at the mirror closely. I had been too paranoid to even realise my training. My eyes took in the mirror itself.

"It's a window... It's one sided..."

A scream escaped my lips as I let my eyes fall to look at myself.

"Lenny?!" I heard a shout from the other side of the wall, but I didn't answer him. I was in awe with what I saw.

Nobody was there. I waved my hand and saw nothing. I looked down at my arm and pinched it. I was real, but not to the mirror.

My eyes widened as I saw myself flicker in front of the mirror until I was looking at myself.

I was just invisible.

I stepped towards the mirror and tilted my hair, examining myself. Something was different... It was my hair. I never had auburn hair that was straight... I had dark brown hair that was wavy... I focused my mind on my old hair and slowly, my hair began to change into a darker colour.

A smile broke out on my face.

I was a shapeshifter too.

■ □