36|EXTRA: JC's petsitting diary (2/2)

A/N: sorry for the late update, there was a personal emergency

Part 2

- in which they were led on a wild rabbit chase

The first half of the ride was a comfortable silence. Music was playing faintly on the radio to which Lan Xichen was humming along. But then the second half - Lan Xichen couldn't help but feel an ominous aura in the air coming from the passenger's seat.

(because, Wanyin is passenger princess, duh.)

He averted his eyes away from the road for a moment and asked, "Wanyin, are you feeling alright?"

"I... I think I forgot to lock the front door," Jiang Cheng replied, his whole body tense up.

Lan Xichen smiled assuringly, "You've only been gone for an hour, Wanyin, I'm sure nothing would happen. Besides, it's the bunnies you are worried about right? No matter how misbehaving they are, I don't think they could actually open a door." Lan Xichen laughed lightly. 

Jiang Cheng exhaled. "I guess you're right. I just have a bad feeling about something. Andpleasekeepyoureyesontheroad."

"..." Amused, Lan Xichen turned his gaze back onto the road. He reached to turn up the music- maybe Jiang Cheng just needed some comforting music to relax.

Meanwhile...

"Hmm, Lan Zhan, should we get this premium grass hay or this premium grass hay?"

Wei Wuxian turned to Lan Wangji and then his eyes lit up.

"Oo! High-quality rabbit food pellets!" He hurried over to the shelf.

.

.

.

As Lan Xichen drove into the neighborhood, they spotted someone hunched over at the doorsteps in front of the house. When they got closer, they saw it was Nie Huaisang.

Lan Xichen slowed into the driveway and Jiang Cheng got out of the car.

"Huaisang! What are you sitting out here?"

"Bro! There you are! I rang the doorbell but no one answered."

"Well, that's because I wasn't home," Jiang Cheng said impatiently but was relieved because it means he must've locked the door since Huaisang was stranded outside.

"Yeah, I figured that but- oh hi, Xichen-ge."

"Hello, Huaisang," The older smiled at him.

Nie Huaisang smiled back before turning back to Jiang Cheng with an uneasy and slightly queasy look on his face. "But bro, I was going to leave but I have to tell you this first: I think you might want to call an exterminator."

"...why?" Jiang Cheng asked, having a bad feeling about this. See, Jiang Cheng's gut feeling is never wrong.

"Well," Nie Huaisang began to tell his story as Jiang Cheng's facial expression became more and more distorted...

"I was coming to your house to hang out today but when I rang the doorbell no one answered. I was about to leave but then I heard scratching... I thought someone was home so I knocked on the door again and called out but no one responded. I was getting kinda worried but then I found out your door was unlocked." Nie Huaisang's eyes grew round as he continued, "Cheng, you aren't going to believe me when I say this but when I opened the door, something shot passed through my legs and out the house! It looks like some kind of grey furball... I don't know, it was going way too fast. I think it was a rat. It went down the street and probably into a sewer."