CHAPTER SIX : TAKING CHANCES & INVITATIONS

The day that I have been dreading arrives. I watch as Dr. Johnson signs Grayson's discharge papers. I nibble on my bottom lip and try to calm the raging butterflies in my stomach. I'm anxious.

Of course, Grayson will come back to get his casts removed , but that will be the only other time I will see him. He is back to being nothing more than a patient. I am grateful for the comfort he offered me the past few weeks.

"Well. Mr.King I will see you in four weeks. You are free to go home."

Grayson smiles warmly at Dr. Johnson. I look over his handsome face as the two men converse. My heart beats a bit too fast for my liking and my hands start to sweat. I wipe them on my pants and try to seem like I am not freaking out.

I tune back into the conversation just as Grayson speaks again, "I'm just grateful for you and your nurses. Thandi has been an angel."

A smile tugs at my lips.

"That's why she's my favorite." Dr. Johnson says with a smile, "Don't tell anyone that." he says to me. I mimic locking my lips and throwing away the key.

Pleased with my sworn secrecy, he bids Grayson farewell and leaves the room.

"So..." I walk closer to his bed,"Are you ready to leave this place?"

He shrugs, " Can't say that I am. I'm gonna miss the food."

I laugh, "Don't lie. No one likes hospital food."

He smiles and my heart skips a beat, "You're right. That's why Siya has been bringing me food."

"Right, the perks of having a friend who's a chef."

"Exactly."

A moment of silence passes and I try to stall by looking around the room. At anything that isn't him.

"I don't want this to end." he suddenly says.

I decide to be honest with him and myself, "I don't want that either."

This makes him smile. He has such an amazing smile.

"Then give me your number."

My throat closes up for a moment and I forget how to breathe. By giving him my number, this becomes real. This friendship of ours becomes real. Grayson has been a calming presence that I did not expect in the midst of my nightmares. He has no idea how those moments of comfortable silence have helped me.

So I calm my raging heart and stop being stubborn - I relent and give him my number. He smiles when he has the digits saved on his phone.

"I should leave you to get ready. Is it okay for me to assume that someone is picking you up?"

He nods, "My mom is on her way."

I chuckle, "Okay then, mama's boy."

He shakes his head and laughs, "If I wasn't injured, I would chuck this pillow at you."

I like this light playful mood going on between us. I shake my head at him as I walk towards the door.

"Have a safe journey home, Grayson."

He smiles and I swear it tugs at my heartstrings. "Thank you, Thandi."

I walk out of his ward and head towards the reception area to give in his file. Once I am done with the admin, I go to the canteen to get a cup of coffee. My phone vibrates in my pocket and when I look at the screen I see a text from an unsaved number.