CHAPTER ONE : THE BEGINNING

"Keep your arm in the sling at all times and please don't try to use it at least for a few days", I say to Mr. Hoyle.

He gives me a firm nod, "I know love. It's not my first time". A small smile appears on his face as he shrugs his uninjured left shoulder.

He is right about one thing though, this is definitely not his first time and I am certain that it will not be the last. The man has been to this hospital more times that I can count. And I have only been here for two years.

I write him a note for some medicine that he can get from the hospital dispensary. Handing the note over to Josh, his son, who came in with him. I leave them and go to attend to another person.

Mr. Hoyle, unlike all the other patients we deal with at St Mary's Hospital, is one of the few who actually come back with an injury every few months. He's a retired handy man who simply does not like to enjoy his retirement. Josh brought him in today because the man fell off a ladder while trying to change a faulty light bulb, resulting in him weirdly dislocating his right shoulder.

I am an orthopedic nurse but half of my time is spent at the non-trauma unit, dealing with the not so serious stuff.

After being on my feet for twelve hours, all I want right now is to crawl into my bed and sleep. A sigh of relief leaves my body as I help my last patient for the day. I can finally get home, take a hot shower and disappear into the sweet pull of a dreamy abyss. 

My best friend and fellow colleague, Bentley shoots me a tired smile the moment I walk into the locker room. "I want my bed", his husky voice says voicing out my earlier thoughts.

He playfully pouts, "I need food first"

My stomach grumbles at his suggestion. Quickly grabbing my oversized cardigan and purse, I wait for him as he shrugs on his jacket and grabs his bag, or as he calls it his 'murse'.

We walk out into the hallway and I can feel the freedom calling me. The moment we make it to the parking lot, I feel a weight lift off my shoulders.

Bentley and I are parked next to each other. It has always been like that, we need to be parked next to each other. "Bye babe", he says as he unlocks his car.

I do the same and shove my purse into the passenger seat, "Bye, give Rhys a kiss for me". 

His eyes sparkle at the mention of Rhys, "Oh, I'll do more than that", he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

"Ugh, stop you freak" I laugh and get inside my car.

Rhys is Bentley's boyfriend who is also one of the best Neurosurgeons this hospital has had in years. He went home to get some sleep after an intense eighteen hour surgery. The poor guy was so worn out.

Him and Bentley are a ridiculously attractive couple and they were the first openly gay couple at he hospital. It was not well received by the female population at first, because they are really good looking men and it was a loss on our side but at the same time we admire their bravery.

The drive back home is nice and quiet. Since it is early evening, the rush hour traffic is about letting up. My heart nearly sings in joy when my small cottage comes into view. It's not a lot to look at but I love it so much because this is my first house. I worked so hard that I was able to afford this place and fix it up. 

I got it for a steal on the market and I spent a lot of money on fixing the plumbing, electrical wiring, painting and installing furniture. It took me a year but I finally got it done and I have never been prouder.