Chapter Forty-Two - The Flames of Retribution

It was almost dawn, and I'd set a chair on fire in the garden, causing a rush of attendants to come over to put it out. Chevral clapped his hands, looking at me as though I'd just created a miracle. 

"That's one chair, a statue of Edu, and a fruit bowl, Kaashif," Ursula said in a dry tone."

I looked at the havoc I'd wrought and nodded. "I need to go out." 

It was almost time to go to the bridge.

"I want to come," Chevral whined. He'd been so much more whinier in the past week, wanting to be with me every minute. His gaze never left me when we were together, and it brought with it a feeling of unease within me. Chevral was planning something. I just knew it. 

I glanced at him, feeling a familiar headache behind my eyes. "No. We aren't sure if the new formula we're trying with you is working. You need to stay here at the embassy."

Chevral sulked and left the garden, leaving me with Ursula. Ursula was staring at him with narrowed eyes. She still was in disagreement of keeping him around, and most of his information, while useful, was not truly what I needed to get something on Renata or Kohl.

Everyone was busy with decorating for Saint Padoxius Festival, including the ambassador, but I was sure that Chevral would be safe in the embassy without me for now. There were enough in the embassy that knew he was dangerous. Surely, they'd keep an eye out.

Ursula protested going anywhere. "No, we should stay here and say we're too busy to go the tower!"

I shook my head, and when she saw that stubborn slant to my chin, she sighed. 

As Ursula grumbled about mulish fools that never listened, we set out on our walk with our guards around us, and I breathed in the festive atmosphere. The air was never the frosty bite that this area once possessed during this time, but the slightly cooler clime let me know that the festival of Saint Padoxius, saint of good tidings, was well underway. My excuse for going out so early was to buy gifts for the embassy, so the ambassador was fine with us setting out while it was still dark. He was too distracted by decorating to take much mind of us, and I worried that they would let Chevral take too many liberties.

I'd become excited when the decorations slowly appeared. The embassy had taken cues from ancient times, decorating the rooms with greenery, balls made of red berries, and silver and gold figures of Faluel, Padoxius, and the other saints. A large tree, covered in blue, white, and silver decorations gave honor to their host country, Sanfelton.

In an attempt to escape any ire from Prince Altair, I sent a letter to the tower stating I was searching for a gift for him and would meet him when I returned.

Shopkeepers and stall owners called out as we passed by. The stalls during this time were laden with trinkets, and toys meant to entice those wanting an inexpensive gift that the fancier shops would not have. Hungry, I stopped by a bread seller and purchased two twisted fried breads covered in cinnamon and sugar. We called them Padoxius' staffs in memory of his magical staff that could bless a faithful believer. I offered one to Ursula as we walked on, but she refused,

Ursula walked by my side, her arms crossed over her chest as she observed the crowd with a mix of curiosity and annoyance. "I still can't believe you're meeting Altair," she muttered under her breath. "After everything that's happened, do you still trust him? I'm convinced the Imperials killed Darla to keep her silent."

I glanced at the pastry in my hand. "I don't trust him, Ursula, and I agree with you. But I want to know what he has to say."

She huffed, her gaze shifting to the various stalls. "He could send a letter. It's too ominous."