07: the love token

"So the white beads represent hope, purity, and true love; red beads symbolize intense passion and desire; and blue beads symbolize the sky, through which a dove would fly to find its mate." Nawi confirmed, carefully watching as I constructed a love token for Izogie.

I meticulously cut and shaped the crystal beads, ensuring every detail was perfect before threading them onto a string.

"That is right." I responded, nodding in affirmation. "I have tried to put all three colors in this bracelet to symbolize my feelings for Izogie and how I would go to the ends of the world for her." I smiled at Nawi as I finished the token, content with my work.

"Oh. Those are beautiful meanings, Hasana. Izogie will love it."Nawi muttered as she stared at the love token.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"I am making it with the purest of intentions, and I want her to know that." I put a few final touches on the beadwork and then handed it to Nawi.

"I will give it to her as soon as I see her." I said as I felt my heart fluttering with anticipation.

"Princess."Tanonu's voice caught my attention, and with a sigh I looked up at him.

"I will see you after your training today." I squeezed Nawi tight in a long hug, feeling both warmth and tenderness towards her. Nawi nodded slowly, accepting the hug.

"Why are you so nice to me?"Nawi then asked with a playful expression. I chuckled fondly at her question and shrugged my shoulders.

"I see no need to be rude when it is not called for." I replied as I carefully packed up the beads.

"I hope you enjoy your training, Nawi. Do not be late for the party tomorrow night."I spoke up as I grabbed the wooden bowl of beads and walked off with Tanonu.

"Do you not think this love token is risky?"Tanonu asked his tone full of concern.

"How is it risky?"I responded with confusion, taking the love token into my hand and inspecting it.

"Your father will see you making this love token and he will think you have made it for someone, Princess."Tanonu explained, and I felt my cheeks flush in embarrassment.

Quickly, he took the bowl of beads I had been carrying and placed it in the cabinet. Taking some of my clothes, He set himself to preparing me for the event the Agojie had planned, where they would once again pledge their loyalty to my father and, shortly thereafter (days later), our evening festivities would begin. Music would fill the air as we danced and celebrated, and it was then that I had hoped to offer Izogie the love token I had crafted for her.

"Princess, I must say..." Tanonu began, his expression full of admiration as he carefully placed peacock feathers along my face and body.

"What is it, Tanonu?"I asked with a small smile on my face, feeling my confidence rise with each feather he carefully placed.

"I know I may sound repetitive, but you are truly stunning."he whispered as he continued to adorn me with the vibrant feathers, I could feel his artistic sensibilities coming alive.

"Princess."Efe sang as she entered my room with a wide grin, causing Tanonu to respectfully take his leave.

"What is this?" She asked excitedly, holding out the love token to me, I rolled my eyes but quickly accepted the gift.

"I made it for myself, just for fun like I always do." I lied as I crossed my arms Efe chuckled, her expression full of adoration.

"Hasana." she giggled, with a mischievous grin.