Chapter 13 - One Final Move

SHINJI'S POV

Five bottles later and she's still drinking.

I have never seen her so immensely provoked by anyone on getting drunk.  It seems that her only goal is to beat this guy in this drinking game which turned into the highlight of the night. Well, she's Asuka, alright, she lives and breathes in the spotlight.

"Sor-yu, Sor-yu, SOR-YU, SOR-YU!"

Their chants sent shiver down my spine as I gawk at the redhead who raised her final bottle and grinned to her victory. The poor guy just couldn't keep up.

"Sor-yu! Sor-yu!" A loud hurrah followed her last gulp. She pinned down the empty bottle on  the table. Twelve seconds is all it took for her to chug the beer down her throat. She cocked an eyebrow to her  opponent.

"Cute."

She flips her hand open and gave out a cheeky smile. The poor guy handed over the bet money and everybody roared. This is probably his last attempt to ever pull a stunt of challenging any girl to a beer-drinking game.

"You know I never lose, so, it should not come as a surprise."

She slowly stands to leave the couch. I guess the alcohol started to kick in as she struggles to maintain her balance. The boys attempted to assist the redhead as she carelessly sits back on the couch.

"I'll take it from here." I cleared my throat as I stepped up from behind.

Their facial expression turned sour upon seeing me behind their shoulders.

"Oh. It's Ikari."

They backed away, slowly, revealing the redhead on the couch. She lifted her face and I met her blue eyes for the first time in days. She was stunned for a second before she glanced to her shoulder.

"Look who has come to save the day. I don't suppose Mr. Invincible is too engaged at the moment?"

I reached out to her.

She looked at my hand with disgust.

"I can take care of myself."

Stubborn as always.

I slid my hands in my pockets and slumped down beside her. Our hips touched. I felt the butterflies in my stomach.

"I guess we're stuck."

She sighed quickly and slowly rose to her feet. But I'm not done yet. I stood quickly, caught her arm and hooked it around my shoulders to support her stance.

"Let's get some air?" I blurted before she could say anything.

"Fine." She looked away

We walked away from the crowd to the small patio of the house. We sat quietly on the bench.

"So, did you need the money for anything?"

"You really are an idiot."

"Is it about winning?"  ,

"Winning feels great. But that's not the main point."

"Is it about being good at something and be praised for it?"

"Who cares, really."

Her response was more like a dismissive sigh. I don't know what it is with her being annoying and bitchy that make her so charming to me.

"Well, I do. If it's about you."

I swear it was almost like a whisper which I didn't think she'd hear or take seriously. She lowered her gaze.