Chapter 5 - Sea Guard

Chapter 5- The Sea Guard

         The boat holding the Orania family set out further to sea until the country of Rhivera wasn't visible on the horizon. Ahead of them was a vast and vacant ocean, with the sun shining brightly overhead. If not for the circumstances, they'd be admiring the beauty of it. 

         Ignacio gripped the wheel of the ship tightly, continually glancing back at the country they left behind.

         "We shouldn't have left her..." Ignacio bitterly grumbled.

         Delilah placed a hand on his back. "She has a good future ahead of her, Ignacio... we can't expect her to leave it behind."

         Ignacio sighed. He glanced at Maggie, who was at the back of the ship, staring out at Rhivera. She calmly turned to her parents and asked, "Where are we going?"

         Ignacio cleared his throat. "We're going to sail until we reach the first piece of land we can."

         "Where will that be?"

         Ignacio honestly didn't know. Rhivera was an isolationist country with very little contact with the outside world. There was no telling what other nations they might come across. Or how far it might be.

         "I'm not sure. We'll figure things out once we get there," Ignacio replied, feigning confidence, "As long as we're together, we'll be okay."

         Maggie quietly nodded and looked back at the ocean and the home they were leaving behind.

         "How's Ernesto doing?" Ignacio asked his wife.

         "He hasn't said anything since he got on the boat. He's still below deck," Delilah answered.

         "Mind taking the wheel while I check on him?"

         "Sure. Just keep going forward?" Delilah asked as she took the helm.

         "Mhmm. I'm sure we'll run into the Seaguard soon."

         Ignacio and Maggie circled the boat to a short staircase leading to the lower deck. It was a ship Ignacio was familiar with. It was his friend Julian's boat, and they'd taken it out for shipping trips countless times. Hopefully, he wouldn't hate him too much for stealing it.

         Although, he was worried about fuel. The boat was nearly full when they took off, but Ignacio wasn't sure how long that'd last them.

Ignacio circled the boat to a short staircase leading to a door and the lower deck. He stepped inside. There were a few beds there, as well as cabinets where Julian stored his supplies, and windows with a view of the the sea. Next to one of those windows sat his son, who was looking out the window, clutching his notebook in one hand.

"Hey, son. How're you holding up?" Ignacio asked as he sat beside him.

Ernesto peered at him from the corner of his eye and nodded.

"Are you sure?"

"I'm okay, dad." Ernesto replied unevenly. His eye caught Maggie, and a sad look came upon him, "Hi, Maggie."

"Hi." Maggie replied softly.

Ignacio hated this. Clearly, Ernesto wasn't okay. He wished he could say something to finally break through and have him open up, but it was doubtful.

As Ignacio sat there, he felt the boat's momentum slow and the rotor in the back turn off. Why had they stopped?

"Ignacio, get up here!" Delilah shouted from above deck.

Ignacio stood and climbed the stairs up to her. He looked around and saw several boats at a distance from them, each of them brigantine-sized. They appeared to be forming some sort of perimeter in the water, anchored at specific positions. They were the Sea Guard. One of the ships broke away from its position, slowly approaching them.

"I'll talk to them," Ignacio assured Delilah as he stepped towards the bow of their vessel.

That brig treaded water until it pulled up alongside them. Ignacio could see several seafaring soldiers aboard the ship, each of them armed with a firearm.

One of the soldiers leaned against the side of the boat nearest to Ignacio with a clipboard in one hand.

"Hello, sir." The soldier greeted lackadaisically.

"H-Hello." Ignacio hid his anxiousness behind a formal smile.

The soldier peered over the clipboard he was holding before turning back to Ignacio, "How many are aboard your ship?"

"There... There are four of us."

"Are you willing to give their names?"

"Yes. I'm Ignacio Orania. This is my wife-"

The soldier cut him short, "Just the names are fine. You don't have to introduce them to me."

"Right... Ignacio. Delilah. Maggie. Ernesto."

"Alright..." The soldier replied, pulling a pen and jotting the information onto his clipboard, "I would assume that your leaving Rhivera isn't sanctioned by the government. Is that correct?"

"Well, we have to-"

"If your departure isn't sanctioned, I don't need to know the reason."

"...No. It isn't sanctioned."

"Alright." The soldier turned and faced Ignacio fully, "I must let you know that once you pass us, we won't let you back in. If you're having any second thoughts, now is your time to turn back."

Ignacio nodded to himself and looked at his wife. She meekly nodded as well, "We understand."

"Carry on then," The soldier said, ready to leave the edge of the ship.

Before the soldier could walk off, Ignacio asked, "Would you know where the closest land mass is from here?"

The soldier stopped and leaned against his ship's rails, "I'm honestly not sure. None of us have left Rhivera. If I were to guess, head south or southwest."

Ignacio nodded. He was hoping for more than that. "Alright. Thank you."

"Good luck." The soldier replied before leaving the edge of the ship.

His brigantine promptly returned to its position along the Seaguards' perimeter and dropped its anchor there.

Ignacio started his boat back up and passed through the Seaguards' perimeter undisturbed. He eyed his compass for a southbound bearing and set the ship at medium speed. Ahead of them, all they could see was a vast and vacant ocean.