Chapter 4 - A family torn asunder

~ Chapter 4- A family torn asunder~

Paula was sitting in her classroom, listening passively to the lecture. She tried to stay engaged, but as these were the last few days of school and she already had a job slated for after graduation, it was hard to be as invested. But she wasn't going to falter this close to the end.

Outside the classroom, there was a blue and white flag atop a flagpole outside. The flag of the country of Rhivera.

"Paula and Maggie Orania," A voice chirped over the intercom throughout the school, "Please come to the principal's office."

The teacher looked at the intercom, then at Paula in her seat before gesturing to the door, "Go ahead."

Paula gathered her backpack and headed into the halls of the school. As she walked, she came across Maggie.

"Hi." Paula greeted.

"Hey. What do you think is going on?" Maggie asked.

"Not sure."

When they reached the principal's office, they saw her waiting just outside for them. As soon as she saw them, the principal met them halfway.

"Girls, your father has been injured." The principal promptly told them.

"What?" Paula asked.

"I received a message from your mother. He's at the hospital now," The principal explained.

Paula's heartbeat quickened, "Wait, what. How did this happen? Is it bad?"

"I'm not sure. Your mother just wants you two to hurry to the hospital now. Uneva's southern hospital."

That wasn't a long walk from there. Rather than ask more questions, Paula pivoted away. "We're going right now! Come on, Maggie."

As the two girls headed out, the principal said, "I hope he's okay!"

Paula and Maggie jogged along the streets towards the hospital, gripping their backpacks tightly as they went. Maggie was quiet and moving very quickly. She was as eager to find out what happened to Pa.

How did he get injured? It'd make sense if it happened on the farm, but he wasn't supposed to be working today... Paula thought to herself.

The girls were jogging by a lightly wooded area on their way to the hospital. But before they passed by, something reached out of the woods, grabbed Paula, and pulled her in.

Paula didn't hesitate and threw her elbow into the individual's stomach, and they loosened their grip with a grunt. She gripped their wrist and twisted it hard, gaining the upper hand.

"Paula! Stop, it's me!"

Paula looked at the man who had grabbed her, "...Dad?" She released his wrist, "I thought you were hurt!"

"I am now!" Ignacio remarked, rolling out his wrist.

Maggie jumped into the woods, saw her dad, and promptly hugged him. "We thought you were in the hospital!" She mumbled as she held her Pa.

"I just needed to get you out of the school somehow. If we said I was at the hospital, I knew you'd come this way. We need to go!" Ignacio explained, keeping his voice hushed for some reason.

"What do you mean?" Paula asked.

"Population Control came for Ernesto."

Paula froze for a moment. She always considered that a possibility, but never thought it would actually happen. She figured he was too young for them to come for him. Doing nothing for as long as he did must've put him on the PCC's radar.