The Thunder Rolls

A/N: alright so nobody rlly responded if they wanted the after effect of "the one left behind" so here's a fic inspired by SixOfBones713 who's oneshots r super amazing u should go read them. (Pretend Nina is CorpseWitch and Heartrender for this) Anywayz this is a Kaz afraid of storms thing! Enjoy!!
(Needs editing, trust me Ik)

Kaz's POV
When he was little it was worse.

The fear of thunder and storms.

He used to hide under his blankets, trying to wait out the howling wind over the fields.

Jordie would make fun of him the day after. But his big brother always would comfort him when the storm started. His Da would dry his panicked tears and tell him stories.

Then Da died.

And Ketterdam was a coastal city.

Stormy nights were inevitable.

So Jordie held Kaz at Mr.Hertzoon's store. And even shakily helped his tears when they huddled under the Goedmed Bridge.

The night on the Reaper's Barge was the worst.

Kaz Rietveld's fever didn't break when the sky was clear. And he hadn't swam back to the shore in calm waters.

The Queen's Lady Plague had ended with the most famous Hurricane on its shores.

Kaz Brekker wasn't only born out of the harbor, he was born out a hurricane.

Well, when the Ravkan royalty asked for their presence, Jesper was obviously excited. Wylan encouraged Kaz to come and Inej reasoned it was easier to go by boat. Nina had brought loads of snacks, and ever the woodsman, Matthias made sure to bring some fishing poles for on the way there. (A/N; not only is he alive but I can so see Matthias going ice fishing with a bucket hat-)

Inej was the one to convince Kaz to truly come with them. He'd missed his crows, and Anika wasn't going to cause too much damage. So that's what they'd done.

The Wraith was steady, tied to Fifth Harbor but ready to leave within the next few moments.

Kaz tried to settle in as best he could. But the constant rocking was terrible for his leg, and he kept loosing his footing.

Inej popped her head into his cabin and smiled. "Dinner's ready, wanna join us?"

He gave her a tight smile and tried to rise, only to be thrown back into the bed.

"Oh! Hold on, I'll help you up," she gently grabbed his clothed arm and steadily raised him. "I didn't know we'd meet such a bad storm. Not quite a Hurricane but still a nasty thunderstorm."

Kaz froze.

He was out on the water.

On a boat.

In the middle of a storm.

Taking a deep breath, he focused on Inej's warm hands guiding him.

He just needed to breath.

Inej's POV
Something was wrong with Kaz.

He seems so...so...afraid.

Inej shook her head to clear it for a minute. Did she just have Dirtyhands and fear in the same thought about him?

Whatever. He was her first priority right now.

She watched as he flinched, thunder cracking through the sky outside.

They made their way to the general dining room, which really was the Captain Office where Inej kept all her important documents. But for now she's cleared the table and set out six plates.

Kaz rigidly sat down, his back knife straight against the chair. The rocking of the boat worsened as he tried to pick at the dinner infront of him.

The Crows made chatter quickly, talking about Wylan and Jesper's exploits. Nina excitedly talked about the Little Palace, and Matthias looked at her confused (the Fjerdan had been told it was a nasty cave-)

Kaz just stayed quiet, flinching any time Lightning hit. Inej watched him closely, gently making eye contact with Nina. The Grisha took notice and had an unspoken convo while Jesper teased Matthias about something. Wylan cued into their conversation and watched as Kaz zoned further and further away from their conversation.

Jesper saw their silent conversation and decided to act.

"Kazzie!! Are you excited for Ravka?"

Kaz didn't respond and only seemed to retreat further.

"Ohhh Kay then. What about you, Matty boy?"

Inej's voice was clipped with concern. "Jes. Not the time."

She knew it was Jesper's way of showing his concern, this nervous prattle and teasing, but it really wasn't helping right now.

"His heart rate is through the roof." Nina voiced quietly.

"Jesper go grab the heavy blanket from my room, Matthias and Wylan, stoke the furnace some more. Nina, help me try to bring Kaz back a bit."

Everyone nodded and split to do their separate jobs.

Inej walked around the table, keeping her steps loud hoping that Kaz would hear her. He didn't, continuing to state off into nothing with such a vacant gaze it hurt her.

"Kaz?" She asked gently. He just flinched at the next rumble of thunder and looked at Jesper, who was gently draping the blanket over the Barrel Boss's shoulders.

"Jordie?" He asked gently.

Jesper stared, shock and pity painting his face, and looked to Inej for help. All the Crows knew Kaz's story, but apparently not enough about the fateful night to help Kaz right now.

"Kaz, it's us." Nina outstretched a hand and curled her wrist slightly.

Kaz's breath seemed to seize, he stared at Nina and with fumbling words spoke.

"No no no stop I'm not dead. Please. Please. I promise I'll do better. Please. I'm not dead." His words were frantic. Even slipping into another language foreign to Inej's ears.

"Calm down Demjin it's okay." Matthias came over to their small circle around Kaz's chair.

Kaz pawed at his chest, rumpling his shirt and flinching as another rumble echoed from outside.

"Hey, hey It's okay." Inej put a gentle hand on his shoulder, careful to mind the fabric between her skin and his.

Then, she carefully wrapped the weighted blanket completely around him, and snuck under his arm to hug around his ribs.

"Breathe with me Kaz," Matthias said, and to make Kaz more comfortable he guided Kaz's hand to his chest instead of Nina's. Keeping Brekker's hand on the Fjerdan's clothed chest, he exaggerated his breathing.

Kaz eventually calmed down a bit, but still flinched at every rumble.

"Kaz, are you afraid of storms?"

Inej did not expect the next response when she asked the question.

But when Kaz Brekker, the most dangerous boy in all of Ketterdam, whimpered, she got her answer.

She swore she could feel all the Crows shock echo in the room.

None of them balked though. Instead, Inej just helped Kaz closer to the furnace.

Everyone sort of followed, all of them trying to gently distract Kaz and drown out the thunder outside.

He still flinched, but a little less because they were all close.

Inej knew he probably was embarrassed by his moment of panic.

But she also knew he'd be okay.

Because the crows were here, and they were gonna stay with him through the storms.