Part 18

"You know, Darcy, you might have more success in our games if you varied your opening once in a while," Richard smirked and played his move in tandem with Darcy's, swiftly taking the first piece and positioning himself for victory from the very beginning.

"Perhaps I am allowing you a false sense of security," Darcy said, moving a piece and then scowling as he saw the foolishness of his decision.

"Perhaps," Richard conceded, taking a second piece and leaning back in his chair to give his cousin a moment to reflect and act more wisely next time.

They played on in silence for a moment, slowly making progress through the game. Richard was the better player of the two, although it was rare he managed to win a match without exerting himself a little. This afternoon's game had begun too easily, but now he found himself thinking his way out of the trap he had stumbled into. He was so lost in his strategy that he did not realise Darcy had spoken to him at first, still less that he had spoken of things other than their present battle.

"It pains me to have to ask you this, Richard, and believe me if I had any better way out of it I would not ask at all."

"Hmm?" Richard made his play and glanced up, surprised to see the scowl on his cousin's face and growing serious himself. "What is the matter, Darcy?" He did not speak at once and Richard felt his nerves tighten. "Spit it out, man!"

Darcy glanced longingly towards the chess board, before taking a deep breath and using a choked voice to utter one name.

"Georgiana."

"What about her?" Richard's heart sank. "Do not tell me she is suffering again! It is still on account of Wickham, I suppose? I feared it, although I did hope that that was long behind her. She seemed so happy! Indeed, I started to suspect..." He stopped speaking all at once, seeing that his words had not put Darcy's mind at ease. If anything, his scowl grew all the fiercer.

"It cannot be so bad as all that, surely!" Richard ran over his own recent interactions with Georgiana, wondering just how blind he could have been to miss what was causing her brother deep concern. "Poor Georgie. She has done a good job of hiding her hurt, I must say. She has been a delight to be around, as ever, but then she always does offer her best self to those she cares for..."

"That is just it," Darcy managed at last, his words forcing themselves out in a tumble. "That is my chief concern. It is - it is you, Richard. I fear she begins to care for you, and of course your friendly manner with her encourages it, and -"

"For me?" Richard laughed, surveying his cousin. This was a joke! And yet, no, Darcy still glared at him. "You must be mistaken. Darcy! Why on earth would Georgiana care for me?" He shook his head, glancing back at the chessboard to avoid his cousin's scrutiny. "You are talking nonsense. Come, play the game and be sensible."

"I am being sensible," Darcy said, although he obediently made a move that allowed Richard an easy escape from potential defeat. "Georgiana has developed something of an affection for you and Lizzy is quite sure -"

"Aha! And now I see the source of all this nonsense. Elizabeth is quite sure. She has put you up to this, has she?" Richard shook his head, fighting a smile. "I am sorry to disappoint you and your bride, Darcy, but I assure you the only thing that exists between Georgie and me is friendship." He sniffed, ignoring the sting that his own words brought him. This was no revelation, and it ought not to hurt to speak aloud the words he had reminded himself of only that very morning! "If we are a little too familiar it is only on account of our not having seen one another for so long." Richard rubbed the back of his neck which grew strangely warm. "Or perhaps because we are seeking to allow the newlyweds more time to be together. There! That is your answer. There is no matchmaker so eager as a new bride. I should keep an eye on your wife, Darcy, lest she make matches of all of us and court destruction, rather than romance." He forced a laugh and prayed it sounded more convincing to Darcy's ears than his own. "Georgie care for me! What nonsense." He paused. "She is far too good for me in any case, and I'm well aware you should never approve the match." He risked a glance at Darcy, then, and was justified by the flicker of nerve near his cousin's lips. Richard's heart sank, although it had had no cause to lift to begin with.

"I did wonder..." Darcy's frown had softened into one of bewilderment and Richard swallowed his relief. Whatever he might feel in the depths of his own heart for Georgiana he could not admit to it, for he knew his affections would never be returned. Georgiana looks to me for friendship, nothing more. I would never ask for more.

"Come, Darcy, let's play our game and stop gossiping like ladies. Neither one of us care for romance. Did you forget it was your boorish, brutish cousin you are talking to and not Charles Bingley?" He grinned, happy to lampoon Darcy's friend in his absence, although he privately thought Charles Bingley a nice enough fellow, if too easily steered by his heart whenever there was a pretty young lady in view. He is married too, and happily, from what I hear. Richard played a move and fought a wave of sadness that inexplicably swept over him. He was resigned to his bachelor ways, but once in a while the thought of marriage - a true partnership, encompassing both love and friendship like that modelled by Darcy and Elizabeth - tripped him up. He had not found it for himself, though, not in all his years of wandering. It is not meant to be. Not all of us are suited to such a life. He thought back to his conversation with Georgiana that afternoon, to how close he had come to trusting her with the truth, that there was no lady he could ever envision trusting with his estate, or his heart, but her. Something had stopped him, though, and now he was glad that good sense had prevailed. If Elizabeth is already seeking to pair us off I must guard against letting myself get swept up in her schemes. Georgiana's heart is too fragile to risk, and I would rather keep her happy and my friend than lose the closeness we have.

He played on in silence, pleased to have a distraction as their chess game progressed to his inevitable victory. Darcy did not mention his sister again, and Richard pushed thoughts of her away. They were friends, nothing more.