Chapter One

Monday morning! :(

“ANGEL!!” I hear my mum scream like she’s being attacked. Typical, no I’m not gonna run to her and ask whats wrong because this is what happens every morning. What a way to wake me up right? Screaming with her thick Nigerian accent KMT. “You betta gerrout of that bed now oo!”

“Yes Mum!” I stumbled out of bed into the corridor. I walked out of my bedroom door and the first thing I feel is the hardest slap ever. WTF! I look up to see her glaring at me like she was ready to kill me there and then. Ok what have I done now?

“Don’t ever talk to me with that attitude!” So there I am standing outside my door after just being slapped for no reason, at least now I’m not sleepy. I turned around towards the corner towards the bathroom only to be dragged back forcefully by my arm and pushed onto the floor. “Don’t walk away from me when I am talking to you!” I couldn’t move I still had no idea what I had done wrong. “You stupid girl, I don’t even know why I didn’t abort you when I had the chance. God knows that you will never become anything. I give you a home and you think you have the right to speak to me with that attitude. Don’t think I will not hesitate to put you in hospital again myself!”

“Sorry.” That’s all I could say before she kissed her teeth and stormed back down the stairs. Not a tear escaped my eyes, see I’ve grown to push all my emotions aside and just live with it. This is my life, this is Angel. My weak, abused reality. The truth is I’m used to it now after all these years it just becomes routine, everything I do is wrong so all I can say is ‘sorry’. I’m sorry for being a burden, I’m sorry for being me. I’m just sorry for being born.

I got up dusted myself off and went to the bathroom to do the usual. After I finished I ran into my room to escape seeing her again. As I began to put on my school uniform I notice the bruise on my arm. Theirs another lie. I finished putting on my school uniform which was, black skirt, whit shirt, a black and purple tie with my simple black jacket it’s the middle of June so its not that cold, then my black knee high socks and dolly shoes. Finally I straightened my side fringe and put my long dark brown hair in a simple bun. This was just about the only part of myself that I can honestly say I didn’t have a big problem with. I finished off a bit of mascara and clear lip gloss, done. I rushed out of my room with my bag and went down the stairs shouted “bye” and rushed out.

*School*

I rush into school with my signature smile plastered. All the sadness in my eyes is totally hidden. I’m Naveah now; Angel is simply a lost memory. You see, when I’m not at home Naveah is what you could call my ‘Sasha Fierce’, I can make her who ever I want her to be because that’s just how I like it. Naveah is all that I wish I could be she’s confident, rude and totally down to earth. She’s simply perfect. That’s how I get by in life, that’s how I forget all the things I am going through, without her I honestly don’t know what I would be.

I walk into the front playground of my school not to see my two main girls Aziah and Melody jumping around like mad children. Typical! They always do this, just get overly excited over the tiniest things; I don’t think they even noticed me standing there just looking at them. This went on for like 5 minutes until I couldn’t take it anymore.

“Ahem!” they turned around in shock looking like they thought they were bout to get killed. I couldn’t help but burst out laughing, my girls are the best: D I can’t get enough of their madness! They just stood there staring at me as my laughter died down…ok whats going on? I raised my eyebrow at them in confusion. “Ok. Whats going on?”

They both turned to look at each other and then looked down in embarrassment. “You’re gonna think we’re stupid” Melody said. “You always do.” Aziah replied.