The Guest

Back in 2002, a twelve-year-old boy used to live with his family as a servant in a rich Gujarati family. His parents had been working there as servants for a long time; his dad was a driver and his mom a maid. Their owners were so kind to them that they gave Abdul's family a separate room to live in. All of them were living together like a family. But as in a family, the head of the family is supposed to bear all of the expenses. So Uncle Mukesh used to take care of both families' expenses. But his daughter Divya and his wife Durga never liked that. Despite this, things were going well until that night.

Abdul's life was about to change drastically. His Dad was travelling with Uncle Mukesh and his son, Jignesh, for a business meeting with their client. And her mother had gone to meet her grandmother because she was sick. Her mother was supposed to return the next morning, but that was a long night.

At 2 o'clock, the telephone bell rings in the hall. Durga comes down the stairs and picks up the phone. It was Uncle Naresh on the other side, saying, "Durga, Everyone is dead! Everyone is dead! Shut all the doors and don't let anyone come inside your house. Riots are happening outside. Angry mobs kill everyone who comes their way, whether it is Muslim or Hindu. They have gone crazy." As she gets the heartbreaking news of the deaths of his husband and his son, the ground crumbles under her feet. The receiver falls from her hand. Screams and screams—everyone was screaming and moaning.

The next morning, Uncle Naresh came home to meet his sister, Durga. He told them everything about the current scenario—"a clash between two religious groups, Hindus and Muslims. It was a group of Muslim men who killed our people. Abdul's father was unfortunate."

Later that day, in the afternoon, Abdul's Uncle Zubair comes with a piece of bad news: "Your mom and her mother passed away last night. A Hindu mob set fire to their house." It was the worst day of Abdul's life. He had become an orphan within a night.

Weeks passed, and things started to get normal, but not in the Durga mansion. Abdul and his sister, Rukhsar, wanted to continue their schooling, but Durga wasn't allowing them. Because now there was no one left to earn money in the house, she could no longer afford to educate both of them. So Durga suggested to Abdul, "We will send your sister to Delhi; I swear she will be safe in Delhi. There, my cousin will bear the expenses of her studies and her living. But you have to stay here. Now the time has come that you should repay us."

Abdul was not so happy with this deal, but he had no choice; he was happy for her sister that at least one of them was getting a better life. So now he was the only servant left in that house. He had no idea what was coming for him.

The next morning, Uncle Naresh took her sister with him, and now Abdul was left alone.

Durga: If you are done crying for your sister, then get down to work.

Abdul: Yes, Aunty, tell me what you want me to do. Where should I start?

Durga: First of all, I am not your aunt anymore; call me Malkin! (a word mostly used by North Indians for their lady owner). Is that clear to you?

She never liked him and his family; Abdul knew it, so this rude behaviour of hers wasn't so surprising for him.

Abdul: Ok, Malkin.

Durga: Now go and clean your room, pack all your shit, and move to the storeroom. Anita's mom (Anita was the widow of Jignesh, Durga's only son, who died in the riots) and her sister are coming today. And I don't want to see you moving around my guests, so it will be better if you lock yourself in the storeroom and don't come out until or unless we call you. Bloody terrorists!

After the riots, she now had more reasons to hate him.

Abdul: Ok, Malkin. As you wish!

Durga: Now leave. And listen, try not to embarrass us.