Chapter 20

18 years ago...
April, 2005.

3rd Person Narrative.

Aderinsola Maria Benson was born into wealth and privilege, but her path to success was not easy. After her father fell ill, she took over the family company and quickly proved herself to be a shrewd and savvy businesswoman. But just as she was beginning to feel settled in her life, she met a man who seemed to be the perfect match. Little did she know that he was only using her for her wealth and status.

As she sat in the living room of the condo unit her dad got her and her sister, basking in her privacy, she thought back to her conversation with Mide the night before.

"What do you mean you're expecting a child?"

"You know, when a man and woman consummate, a baby is formed. I'm a month pre-"

"Cut the crap, Derinsola. You can't have that child o."

"What do you mean?"

"See, My wife is at home and she's heavily pregnant. You can't break my home for me."

"Mide, I'm not getting it. You have a wife?"

"Sweetheart, standing beside you at the front of that elevator wasn't a coincidence. I was after your property and you have already signed De-Maria in my name. I don't know what's going to happen with that child but don't break my home. Goodbye."

Tears slipped from her eyes as she recalled the way he walked away without taking a second look back at her.

"Big sis!"

Derinsola was drawn out of her trance when she heard her younger sister's loud voice. She hurriedly wiped her tears but Adenike already caught on to it.

"Big sis, are you okay?"

"You're too young to understand, young lady."

"Shuu. Young how? I'm turning 18 by December and you're also just 22. Put some respect on my name big sis." Adenike sassed jokingly making Derinsola chuckle quietly before she sighed.

"I'm pregnant."

"That's great news. Why the tears?"

Aderinsola explained the situation to her sister and she was in tears at the end of her explanation while Adenike was fuming angrily.

"Have you told Daddy? He will withdraw everything from him and leave him penniless."

"Daddy's already too sick. I don't want to worry him and I love Mide so much, Nike," she cried.

"I'm sure Mummy will be so disappointed in me from her grave."

"No big sis. She won't. Stop saying such things. Let's tell Mami so she'll do something about it abi?"

"No, don't tell her. I don't want her wahala. Let's just keep this a secret till I give birth at least."

"You sure?" Denike asked softly and her sister nodded.

"Okay, anything for you big sis."

December 21st, 2005.

Adenike stared at the ER which was a blur of motion through the large glass window, as doctors and nurses rushed to save her sister's life. Machines beeped and whirred, their screens flashing with vital signs. Voices were raised in urgency, calling for supplies and assistance. Aderinsola lay still on the table, her fate hanging in the balance as the doctors work quickly and skillfully, doing all they can to stabilize her and give her a chance at survival.

Adenike rushed to meet the doctor that came out of the room with hope in her eyes.

"I'm sorry. We tried our best but..."

Adenike threw herself on the hospital floor, wailing like a child. Her sister was just fine the day before when she gave birth. Her death was totally unexpected. She rushed into the ER to look at her sister.

She fixed her eyes on her sister's still body, her expression a mixture of grief, disbelief and shock. The room was filled with a heavy silence, the only sound the faint cooing of the newborn in the cot. As she takes in the sight of her sister, a thousand memories rush through her mind - happy memories, joyful memories, memories of laughter and love. But they were all overshadowed by the grief and heartbreak of the moment.

She was still looking at her sister's body when a nurse went to her with a shawl covering her face.

"Miss. Carry this baby and leave this hospital now. I tried to stop your sister's death but I was too late. I'm sorry."

"What? What do you mean?"

"I'm sorry. A man has paid for both the lives of mother and child. I couldn't stop my colleague, I was too late."

"A... a man?"

"Carry her and run away. I don't know why but he really wanted them dead."

"My sister was killed?," she sobbed quietly and the nurse looked at her pitifully before walking away hurriedly.

Adenike carried her niece and walked out of the hospital discreetly. She flagged down a taxi at the entrance of the hospital and told the driver her destination. On arriving at the condo unit, she locked all the doors and windows then sat on the floor, looking
at the baby in her arms.

"I'll forever cherish you Arielle Aderinsola Benson. Your mother's death won't go unpunished. I promise you."

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hello everyone!
So sorry for not being available. Been busy and all.
I'm dedicating this chapter to symply_jovi cause she pushed me to write this chapter.

Also guys if you know anyone who can make a book cover or if you can make a book cover, please hit me up.
Thanks y'all.
Don't forget to vote and comment.

I love you all. God's chosen you. There's amazing plans for your life.
See you next chapter!

Ciao!