Chapter 12

Lagos, Nigeria.
27th January, 2023.

"...A.V Dicey in his book 'Enspirit the Law' in the year 1885. The phrase can be traced back to the sixteenth century, where a Scottish theologian, Samuel Rutherford used the phrase in an arrangement against the divine rights of kings. I mentioned in the last class how John Locke defined freedom under the rule of law. Can anyone remind me?"

Last period, Government class. Everyone was constantly staring at the clock. All the talk about rule of law had given me a headache. The teacher's question was met with silence.

I mean, that definition is way too long for memorization.

"I would be forced to choose someone. You guys are in SS3 and you can't simply define John Locke's definition of freedom? I'm highly disappointed."

It's not that easy, woman.

Finally, Joshua offered to put us all out of our misery after seeing the pleading looks of Jasmine and me. I watched as Mrs Obi's  face shone with pride on seeing her favorite student stand to answer her question.

"...common to everyone in the society and made by the law making power to establish it." he completed.

"Very good. Due to limited time, I would give you all a project. You are to create a power point presentation on the rule of law. I have twenty students here, so there will be ten groups with two students in each group. It will be presented on Wednesday and since we have forty five minutes for a period, you have four point five minutes for each group. Pick your partners. Have a good day," she said, picking her laptop and strolling out of the class in a robot like manner.

I almost laughed at her accurate calculations as I turned to pick Jasmine. We left the class after saying a quick goodbye to Joshua.

"Ugh! Mrs Obi and get projects!" Jasmine groaned and I laughed.

"When do we start working on it?" I asked.

"Tomorrow."

"Do you have a laptop?," she shook her head in negative response.

"I can borrow my mum's. I will tell her a friend's coming over but it has to be on Saturday though, not tomorrow."

"Is that an invite I hear?" she asked mischievously.

"Yes, it is" I laughed

"Alright then, Saturday it is. We have Thursday and Friday to get our points. We'll type them on Saturday. I have to go now, Jacob has been blowing my phone up with texts. Bye Arielle," she hugged me before running off towards the school gate while I went to the reception to text my mum.

<><><><><><>
"Thank you Mr Jude, I greeted as usual as he parked the car in our garage.

"You're welcome, my daughter," he replied smiling at me. I entered the house to greet my mum.

"Mum, I'm home," I sang sweetly, shutting the door. When I turned, I saw my mum sat like a queen on the couch with a hefty man standing in front of her.

"My love," she greeted then walked closer to give me a hug.

"Who is that?" I whispered into the hug.

"Your bodyguard," she replied, breaking the hug to introduce us.

"Jason, meet my daughter, Arielle. Arielle, Mr Jason."

"Body-bodyguard?" I asked, laughing in disbelief. My mum and the hefty man didn't find it amusing and my laughter died down. Her words finally sinking into my head.

"BODYGUARDS?!"

My mum waved him off and he walked out, leaving my mum and me alone with some privacy.

"Riri, your life is in danger and I can't take chances. Trust me on this."

"Why? I've not even seen this man you're supposedly hiding me from. Isn't this a little too much?"

"You either take the bodyguard or get homeschooled. It's totally up to you," she replied, leaving no room for arguments.

"Fine, but I don't want to know I have one. Meaning, he should be as discreet as he can be." I replied stubbornly and she rolled her eyes before nodding in agreement.

"You promise?" I asked for confirmation.

"Yes missy. So how was school?"

"It was stressful as usual. That reminds me. I was given a project to do in school, I'll be needing your laptop please."

"Of course, honey"

"Also, my project partner will be coming over," she squeezed her face, "she's harmless, I promise. Plus, she's my friend."

"I don't know, Riri"

"Please mum," I begged.

"Alright, I'm going out on Saturday though but when I come back, I want to see only one person in this house. Am I clear?"

"Yes mummy, thanks" I gave her a hug, excusing myself before running upstairs to my room.

I sit down at my desk and pull out my books and homework and start working on my assignments, the noise of my mum yelling orders to the maids in the background. The homework was tedious, but I knew it had to be done.

After some time, I slump down in my chair and rest my head on the desk. The noise fading out as I drift off into a light sleep.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hey fam!
I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter as much as I loved writing it.

Thank you for choosing this book.

Don't forget to vote and comment. Also, please follow me if you haven't.

I love you all, you're chosen by God. He has amazing plans for your life. See you next chapter!