Chapter 15

Lagos, Nigeria.
31st January, 2023.

"Arielle!!!"
My mum's loud voice called for me, waking me up abruptly from my sleep. I sat up and groaned, kicking my blankets off angrily.

"Ma!" I shouted, stomping out of my room and heading downstairs.

"I'm sorry, my love. Good morning," she greeted and I instantly melted at the apology.

"Good morning mum, why are you all dolled up?"

She was dressed in a pair of sleek black jeans, a crisp white blouse, and a pair of simple yet stylish black heels. Her gold braids were pulled back into a sleek ponytail, and her makeup was understated and elegant. She adds the final touch to her outfit with a delicate anklet on each ankle, adding a touch of femininity and style. As she walks, the anklets catch the light, glinting softly and adding a touch of movement to her step.

"Today's my secondary school's reunion. I wasn't going to go but change of plans," she shrugged.

"I see. So do you need something?" I questioned, referring to the main reason I was in the living room.

"Yeah. You'll follow me on my way out. I'll drop you at the store so you can get some strawberries for Benji. You'll order a ride back home."

"Who's going to take care of Benji?"

"Seems like you don't know it's almost twelve o'clock. Benji's nanny has arrived since ten. Just go and have your bath, I'll be waiting for you. Take an umbrella, looks like it might rain."

"Okay."

<><><><><><>
"Alright, see you in the evening."

"Bye," I alighted from the car and walked into the supermarket after she drove away. I walked straight to the fruit aisle and got the strawberries after which I got a bag of Lay's chips for myself.

I payed for the strawberries and chips before leaving the supermarket to order an uber ride. It was raining and I regretted forgetting to take an umbrella like my mum warned. I quickly ran under a shed and ordered my ride. The app sent me a notification that the driver was six minutes away and I sighed.

Looking around my surroundings, I saw a familiar person with his head bent, sitting on an empty crate of drinks under the rain. I went to him and tapped his shoulder.

"Keziah?" he raised his head and I gasped softly when I saw his blood shot eyes.

"What happened? Are you alright?" I asked worriedly, squatting to his level. He shook his head in negative response and I pulled him into a hug. At that moment, I received a notification again informing me that the driver had arrived. I was torn between risking letting Keziah follow me and leaving him there so I won't face my mum's wrath. I settled for the former.

"Would you come home with me? I would make you a hot cup of tea. You're literally drenched," he nodded reluctantly and I grabbed his hand leading him to the metallic grey car parked in front of the store.

We got to my house and I paid the uber bill, not forgetting to grease the palms of our gateman so he won't snitch on me as I took Keziah in. I heard Benji laughing and playing with his nanny as we silently passed his room into my own room.

"Lucky for you, I have a few male clothes from my friend in Texas. She was always bringing them and forgetting them during our sleepovers. They are really big so they should be comfortable for you," I said as I pulled out a large essentials hoodie and a pair of baggy joggers from my closet.

"I'll make you a cup of tea. You can change in my bathroom. I'll have to lock you in so no one will see you. My brother barges in a lot. Is that fine?," I asked and he nodded. His unusual silence began to worry me but I just overlooked it and locked the door to give him some privacy.

After preparing his tea, I made my way to my room. I unlocked the door and knocked, hearing a quiet sound of approval before entering. He was all dressed and sitting awkwardly at the edge of my bed. I gave him the cup and he nodded in appreciation.

"Where are your wet clothes?. I'll tumble dry them for you and give them to you tomorrow."

"Bathroom," he whispered hoarsely.

"So, care to tell me what's wrong?," I asked as I sat beside him, placing my hand on his shoulder. I saw him visibly relax under my touch.

"It's my mum's death anniversary today." he said, staring at the wall.

"Oh. Sorry about that."

"It's okay."

"Why were you in front of the store?"

"I had just come back from her grave and didn't have anywhere to go since Joshua and Aaron are not in their houses yet." he said shakily.

"Your house?"

"I hate being home on her anniversary," he said coldly as tears slipped from his eyes. I placed his head on my shoulder and let him cry.

"It's going to be okay," I said patting his back gently for some sort of comfort. His silent cries increased and I scolded myself for being so terrible at providing comfort. In my defense, I've never seen a grown teenage boy break down like this.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he whispered.

"What?"

"I'm so sorry, Arielle," he muttered again.

"For?"

"Everything," he whispered, falling asleep on my shoulder and leaving me in confusion. I let him rest for 2 hours and woke him up so my mom won't meet him. He called Aaron and thankfully he was around. He thanked me without looking at me and rushed out of my house.

Why was he apologizing?

...•••...•••
3rd Person Narrative.
Same day, evening.

"Good evening sir," the young boy greeted as soon as the man received his call.

"Yes, why did you call me? Have you found the place?"

"Yes sir," the boy answered reluctantly, full of guilt.

"Good boy, your work is half done. I'll forward your payment. Rambo will take care of the rest."

"Okay sir."

He stood with his head bent after dropping the call, tears and guilt in his eyes. He had no choice but to do what the man wanted so he could get some money.

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹
Hey fam!

How did you like this chapter?
Let me know in the comments!

Please don't forget to vote and comment.

I love y'all. You're chosen by God. He has amazing plans for your life.