Chapter 10

"It'll be ok, let's all just….Nonono no, NO!" Lee hollered, running towards the woman. It was too late, she pulled the trigger. There was a deafening bang and a thump as the woman's body collapsed onto the ground.

The gun lay discarded by the stranger's bloody corpse. Glenn slowly made his way towards it, bending over to pick it up. His hands were shaking as he felt the barrel of the gun, still warm. Glenn suddenly covered his mouth with his hand and heaved onto the ground. He wiped his mouth, quietly managing to muster, "Let's get out of here."

Suddenly, there was rustling of footsteps and leaves as zombies began to emerge from the woods. "Shit!" Lee silently cursed.

"Here they come!" Glenn exclaimed, as the group quickly bolted out of there and into his pizza delivery car, "Get in!"

Glenn slammed the accelerator, driving off into the night, losing the zombies.

The crew safely made it back to the pharmacy, Kenny asked Lee, "Everyone all right?"

"Yeah. We had some close calls but Glenn is fine, and… well, yeah… we're ok."

Glenn spoke up softly, looking down, "I've got a few cans of gas for your pickup in the trunk of my car."

"Good to hear it."

Carley stepped into the conversation, "And things back here?"

"Quiet." Kenny explained, "Our 'friend' is still in and out over there. He won't survive anymore stress."

Lee stated, "The next order of business is getting those pills out of the pharmacy."

Kenny nodded, before returning to his place by his family. Lee walked over to Carley, who was staring blankly at a machine. "Hey Carley. What are you messing around with there?"

"A radio. I can't get it to work though."

"Here, let me have a look." Lee offered, reaching a hand over and pulling it closer to him.

The radio was pretty simple enough; a large portion of it was the speaker, while the remaining side was divided into a channel setter and other controls. He adjusted the volume first, it was still silent. Then, Lee tapped the power button, "Hmm. Nothing." He flipped the radio over, where there was a lone battery compartment. He flicked it open.

"There are no batteries in this thing." He stated, flicking the compartment closed.

"What now?"

"You know that there are no batteries in that thing."

"Yeah, of course, I mean, yeah. No."

"I can try to find some. Needs two."

"Thanks, I wouldn't even really know what to look for." Carley admitted, obviously stating that she was horrible with technology.

Lee went on towards Doug, who was still standing on watch. Doug was a chubbier fellow with short brown hair combed to the right. He wore a short-sleeved t-shirt with a design of a polar bear or something on it, "Heard or seen anything?"

"Nothing, luckily. Want to step outside, have a look around?"

"Ha, I'm not suicidal yet."

"No, the gate out there is closed. We can hang out in front of the store and be fine."

"Oh, huh." Lee expressed, "Eh, not right now…"

"All right, let me know if you want to."

Lee walked over to a board next to Doug's head. It was a cork board with various posters and things held there with push pins. He walked around the shelves until he finally made his way to Kenny and his family. He overheard Katjaa say, "We just need to get back to Fort Lauderdale.", to which Kenny replied, "We'll do our damndest." Kenny noticed Lee.