Chapter 6

"Hey, get up." A rough voice ordered, before softening its tone.

Lee opened his eyes to a man towering over him. He, like Clementine, was also wearing a cap. This hat was orange with a white stripe down the front. He had a thick handlebar mustache and shaggy hair poking out from under his hat. The man wore a beaded necklace and a short-sleeved white shirt. The shirt had a symbol on it but Lee couldn't make out what it was. Lee sat up and looked over to Clementine who woken up and was rubbing her arms.

"I'm itchy." She mumbled.

"Well you slept in a barn, little lady. Lucky you don't have spiders in your hair." The man in the orange cap explained, causing Clementine to gasp and instinctively check, "But I bet your daddy scared 'em all away, huh?"

"I'm not her dad. Name's Lee." Lee pointed out. It seemed like explaining this was going to become a routine.

"I'm Kenny." He nodded.

There was a squeaky, high-pitched voice that suddenly appeared along with a small, freckled boy. "Dad! We're gonna build a fence! There's a tractor and everything!" The lad exclaimed, before running off, out of view.

"We better get going or we won't hear the end of it." Kenny suggested, with a slight smile on his face.

Kenny exited the barn, with Lee and Clementine tailing behind, holding hands. Lee was thankful to whatever last night's medicine and Hershel had done for him, for his leg barely hurt anymore.

"That's my boy, Ken Junior. We call him Duck, though."

What a peculiar nickname. Lee thought. "Dodging or quacking?"

"Quacking."

Duck shouted impatiently, "DAAAAD!"

Kenny looked over at Lee, "See?"

The trio approached Duck and a woman dressed in a floral dress who Lee assumed was his mother.

"The word is you were on your way to Macon." Kenny stated.

"My family is from there."

"Well Macon's on the way and, personally, I'd appreciate the company of a guy who can knock a couple of heads together if he has to."

"I'll see what the girl would like."

"Ah. Gotta consult the missus. I understand." Kenny said, before turning to his family. "Honey, Duck, this is Lee and uh, what's the girl's name?"

"Clementine." Lee responded for Clementine, who shyly hid behind his leg.

"Clementine." repeated Kenny.

Kenny's wife spoke up, "That is a very pretty name."

"Thanks." Clementine hesitantly replied.

Shawn then joined the conversation. "Well, we should get to work. We've all seen what these things can do out there so the faster we get this fence up, the better."

"I want to build a fence." Duck babbled.

"Yeah? Well I need a good foreman. You can sit on the tractor and yell at me whenever I take a water break." Shawn encouraged.

"On the tractor? Cool!" Duck exclaimed, his eyes widening with excitement and enthusiasm.

"Duck and I will hop to it."

After finishing his talk, Shawn began to walk to the back of the house, Duck following suit.

Katjaa spoke, "I can keep an eye on your little girl here on the porch. We can visit."