Chapter 16

-Troye-

"Con, why else would you ask me how I found myself to be gay?" I spoke to Connor who was in the window seat of the bus. His face drained of color after I asked. His eyes began to rapidly move around my face, as if trying to find and explanation other than the obvious one. I drew circles into his knee with my thumb in effort to calm him down.

"Connor, calm down. It's okay. It must be tough right now. But, I just want you to know that I'm here." I said with a soothing tone. Connor looked away and placed his hands in his lap. He had a sunken look. HIs face began to turn a low shade of crimson. He noticeably shifted into himself, shrinking into a smaller position.

"Oh-ok..." was all he said. Now I felt like a piece of shit. Why did I have to go that extra length? I should've noticed he was having an identity crisis. I slumped back into the seat, sinking into it. This couldn't have been a better way to start the day.

"Let's go canoeing!!!!" Tyler yelled as everything cheered afterwards. Everyone being Marcus and Joe. Connor and I stayed silent as the bus lurched forward and moved around the bend of the circle drive.

The bus moved around the circle and turned left down a road with lush trees and bushes on either side. After a few minutes, I heard a sniffle next to me. I looked to see Connor crying with his face in his hands. I immediately felt even worse. On instinct, I slid closer to him, wrapping my arm around him.

"Connor, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to force that onto you. It must be rough and I'm sure I didn't help just then." I said, rubbing his shoulder with my hand. He moved up into a sitting position.

"It's just that I have fought with myself for so long, and I technically just came out to you." He said through sobs. So it's confirmed. Connor was gay. I tried to hide my excitement as best I could.

"I am so proud of you." I said, lurching forward, throwing my arms around him. He hugged back, nuzzling his head in the crook of my neck. What happened next I didn't expect. He began to sob hard into my neck. I kept one hand on his back while I moved my right hand to his head, coddling him as he let out his emotions. His sobs got softer and softer the longer we stood there in time, holding each other. Connor released from me after awhile, his face all red and his eyes puffy from crying.

"Troye, I have been scared for a long time. You weren't suppose to know until I was ready to tell anyone, nonetheless you. I appreciate you support, but I am still so scared by my own being. I'm not comfortable with it yet. So, can you please just keep it on the down low? For me?" He said to me, struggling to speak with a wavering and cracking voice.

"Of course, of course Con. It's safe with me." I said, grabbing his hand and holding it in mine. He gave me a small smile.

"Thank you." He managed to crack through his slight sobs. After that, we sat in silence, holding each other's hands.

-

"Come on, Troye boy!" I heard Connor call out. We were at the canoe rentals, which was just off Waukegan River. We just rented the two canoes and a kayak for Tyler. Connor ran down towards the bank and was standing in front of the canoe we rented. I ran towards him.

"Slow down, Con!" I stopped in front of him. Marcus and Joe followed behind me. Tyler sauntered down to the bank as well, ores and paddles in hand.

"Okay gang, here are your oars. It is 10:30 right now, so we will stop for lunch around 12:30. Any questions?" Tyler asked, giving us our wooden paddles. I saw Joe raise his hand.

"Um yeah, can Marcus not be an asshole and flip me, like he did Alfie?" I heard him say, half serious, half joking. I heard Tyler cackle.

"You chose him as your partner. If he does, it will be hilarious though." Tyler said, saying through his wide smile. "Alright everyone, climb into your boats and let's go!" Tyler said, basically jumping into his kayak. I climbed into the canoe, followed by Connor. I took the front seat as he took the back. The water seemed like it was really deep at some points, as Tyler described on the bus. I whipped my head around to look at Connor.