Chapter Thirteen

(Neville)

"Neville."

Salazar kicked his shin. Godric looked up from breakfast and followed his brother's gaze. Hermione stood across from them, the long Gryffindor table and bench between them and the other house tables spread out behind her. Morning light streamed across the Slytherin table.

"Hello," Godric said reluctantly. He didn't need to deal with her attempts to help this early in the day.

Hermione Granger dropped her pile of books onto the table and sat down, entirely ignoring Salazar. "I've been looking over medical studies about magic stagnation to try to help find a solution for you.—It's fascinating how many purebloods marry each other. Do they not know about birth defects and how genetics work? While magic seems to have removed the visible birth defects, it should still be a concern!"

Salazar perked up. "Where'd you find those studies?"

The girl scoffed at Salazar, her gaze moved over him judgmentally, "Why? They are over your head. Anyway, you don't need them. I do.—Neville needs so much help. It's already October and he still cannot cast lumos or the color-changing charm." She turned back to Godric, dismissing Salazar. "Everything is so backwatered. Do you know if your parents are purebloods? I bet they are."

Salazar's face darkened as she spotted off nonsense at Godric. The Gryffindor internally groaned, unable to stop the sharp words Salazar said next.

"He's not some inbred dog!" Salazar snapped, "And who said you can help? Or that he wants your help?"

Godric turned back to Hermione as she scowled at Salazar. Hermione's face turned red, jaw tightened stubbornly but a shine gleamed across her eyes, hinting at tears. Her hands flew up to wave in emphasis as she demanded, "I'm in his house and all his classes! I have always been a top student and recommended as a mentor to students that struggled. The real question is what you could possibly do for him that I can't. You're just a bigoted Slyther–"

The girl's mouth continued to move but no sound escaped. A quick glance revealed Sally's yew wand pointed at the girl from under the table. Salazar slid it back into his pocket. Hermione picked up and slammed her books down again before she stomped away. A professor would likely make an appearance soon.

He didn't know if he should point out that Sally's actions hadn't helped her opinion of the Slytherin house. On the other hand, the girl had spent the entire time talking about him as if he was too stupid to speak, let alone do anything without her.

Salazar pressed a palm to his forehead and rubbed a circle over the scar on his head. "I shouldn't have done that...Do you have anything she might actually help with?" Salazar asked as he leaned an elbow against the table and looked over at him with a pinched expression.

Godric snorted in disgust at himself—at Neville. "Everything? I imagine Neville could have all the help he can get..." His words slowed as he saw Salazar frown. He jumped up, not wanting to hear Sally's thoughts on possession or lack thereof. "Well, I best get to class."

"We've potions first."

Godric internally groaned.

Salazar rose and led the way out of the Great Hall. They passed Professor Sinistra and Hermione on their way to the dungeons.

"–but professor I was bespelled!" Hermione cried out.

"There isn't anything to do with no witnesses. And you are clearly speaking, Miss Granger," explained the astronomy professor, "If this happened in the Great Hall, you should have brought it to the attention of the professor or prefects watching over it."