19 | can't handle change

↱  in whichthere's no way around the infinite loop

in which
there's no way around the infinite loop

ATTICUS HATED SCARLETT. Well, the new version of her, at least. He really didn't understand how one person could change in such little time. He was sure he'd always been the same, even when he was little.

Before his time at the orphanage, Atticus lived with his grandfather. After years and years of people hating him, his parents, his aunt and uncle, he was finally able to find a home with Grandfather. The only downside was, it was a limited time.

The man was stuck in his house all day, rotting away and eating bowls of cereal. It wasn't much of a shock when he died and Atticus was thrown into the Home. It'd been years since then.

Everything always changed for Atticus, he couldn't let himself be comfortable with one thing before it was taken away from him. He knew it when he'd been to house after house because no one wanted him. He knew it when Grandfather was taken away from him. He knew it when he got put in the older ward in the Home.

He knew it especially when Scarlett left him. Right when she'd gotten back again, right when he was finally getting comfortable, she leaves for a year.

No matter how hard he tried, Atticus couldn't be happy for her. There was always that fire burning deep in his core, it especially flamed when she would go on and on about her new prestigious school. It was a nightmare.

The older ward was so different. It was a complete mess, and it was far smaller than the younger ward. All the windows were bolted shut unlike in the younger ward. The beds were closer together, and they were finally allowed to keep their items in the same room.

There were only four others in there, not including Scarlett. There were two 15 years old girls, Camille and Marie, and two 16 year olds, a boy called Louis and a girl called Jules.

Atticus didn't talk to the teenagers much, just awkward waves or if he needed something. But as soon as Scarlett came back the room sparked to life. It was as if the girl carried a light around with her to brighten up any dark room and he hated it.

He was a bit weirded out at first when she got back. There was something different about the girl. She seemed less 'I hate everyone' and more 'I hate everyone but I'm funny about it.' Atticus felt like he didn't even know her anymore. He used to be able to know what she'd respond to one of his pestering comments with (usually 'I hate you') but as of lately he'd lost that ability.

She changed so much. Her curls got longer, her eyes seemed brighter, her converse were muddier, and she smiled more. To say the sight of her cheeky grin was odd would be an understatement. He'd never seen her smile like that and he hated the sight of it.