04 | greetings and departures

◤━━━━━━━━━━━━━◥

↱   in whichplans are put in place

in which
plans are put in place

SO BASICALLY, Dumbledore showed up at an orphanage to convince Scarlett to go to his school.

"Are you a doctor? A specialist of some sort?" Miss Harper asked, annoyed.

"I am not. My current occupation is a headmaster," Dumbledore spoke slowly and calmly, occasionally pausing between words. "I've come to see Miss Scarlett Toussaint, would that be you?" he asked, his gaze landing on Scarlett.

"What's it to you?" Atticus sneered before she could even open her mouth.

"To whom do I have the pleasure of meeting?" Dumbledore questioned gently.

"Drop the pleasantries, why are you here?" he fired back, staring at him pointedly.

Scarlett cleared her throat, mentally rolling her eyes. "Hello, sir," she hesitated, "that would be me, Scarlett Toussaint."

"Wonderful," the elder spoke, "If you would, do you mind if Miss Toussaint and I chat privately?"

Scarlett noticed Atticus's eyes turn the size of dinner plates, alarms going off in his head.

Even she was a bit taken back by this request.

"Why-"

"I guess-"

Atticus and Scarlett craned their necks towards each other, each giving the other a confused look.

"Go right ahead," Miss Harper permitted, beginning to leave the room. "Don't take her, she's my responsibility if you do," she said with one last look back.

"Toussaint," Atticus mumbled warningly, side eyeing Dumbledore.

"It's the school I told you about—go, it's fine," she said in response, nudging him slightly.

After a final glare at the headmaster, Atticus walked out of the room heatedly.

"It's lovely to finally meet you in person, Miss Toussaint," Dumbledore said kindly, closing the door behind him, inviting himself in to sit on one of the rotting armchairs.

"Yeah-yes. Yes, good to see you as well," she greeted hesitantly, leaning against the armchair opposite him rather than sitting.

"I do hope you got my letter?" he asked.

"Yes."

"I stated in the letter that I should expect a response no later than the 30th of June."

"I know," Scarlett paused, she thought back to the conversation she had with Atticus. "I'm not going, I can't."

"Would you care to elaborate?" Dumbledore urged.

"It's really far away, I couldn't possibly leave behind my home. I have responsibilities here," she explained, looking down at her feet.