Dutchman's Gold

The story of the lost Dutcmans mine has been around for as long as I can remember. There are several variations to the story and though no single one may be true, I believe there is a kernel of truth buried within all of them.
One story says that the Peralta family originally discovered the mine and worked it, becoming wealthy beyond their dreams until one day they were attacked by a group of marauding Apaches and killed to the man.
Realising it's value, the indians claimed it, mining it when necessary and keeping the secret of its whereabouts closely guarded.
In later years a Dr Treats supposedly saved the life of an elderly Apache and in liu of payment was granted the opportunity to see the mine for himself.
Led by blindfold he was taken to the mine and allowed to pick up as much gold as he could carry. Then, being blindfolded again, he was led back down to his home.
The Dr was either a rather sensible man or one with extraordinarily large arms because what he picked up that day seems to have been enough for him. There is no record of him ever trying to return to the mine.

Another version involves Jacob Walt's the Dutchman.

Supposedly he was the original discoverer of the mine but was attacked by Indians before he could do much with it. Making it back to town and barely alive, he is said to have told one Dr. Walker about the mine and in the last moments of his life, told the story once more to Julie Roberts and even drew her a crude map as to it's whereabouts.
Again, no record of either of them going to any lengths to search for it.

A third version insists that it was two US soldiers who discovered it while searching for renegade Indians in the Superstition Mountains.

They dug enough out to show in town that there was really something out there but were mysteriously killed soon after.
They never divulged the exact location of this fabulously rich mine.

People up to present day continue to search for the mysterious mine with frighteningly similar results as their predecessors.

Examples include:

Adolph Ruth (66):

In June of 1931, Adolph who happened to have a passion for the subject of lost mother lodes set out in search of the infamous Lost Dutchman's mine.
Despite warnings from locals that even skilled hunters had trouble navigating that terrain, Adolph proceeded onward... Alone.
In January 1932 his skull was discovered with two perfectly round holes in it.
Later forensic testing determined that they coincided with a single entry and exit wound that could only have been caused by a bullet.A short time later, the rest of his remains were discovered.
Though his case was officially ruled a suicide. Science failed to explain why his one weapon, a pistol, was found still fully loaded or; if one wishes to stretch the imagination, how he managed to shoot himself in the head and then reload it before he died.

In the mid 1940's, the headless remains of a prospector named James Cravey was discovered. He too had set out to find the lost mine and come up short.

In November or December of 2009, Denver Colorado resident Jesse Capen (35) went in search of the mine but disappeared. Later his car and campsite were found but there was no sign of Jesse.
In November of 2012 his body was found wedged into some rocks by a search and rescue team.

In July of 2010, three Utah hikers, Curtis Merworth (49), Ardean Charles (66) and Malcolm Meeks (41), went in search of the mine and disappeared. After an extensive rescue effort by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department, the search was called off.
In January 2011, three sets of remains, presumed to be the missing Utah hikers was discovered.

Whether by natural causes or other worldly forces, it seems anyone who searches for the Lost Dutchman'a Mine is certain to meet a grisly end.
Guess the old adage still rings true. " Be careful what you wish for ".