Round 6 - Purple Belt Entry - The Living Nightmare

"Katie, its Sarge. I'm sorry to call you so early but I needed to let you know... Wolfie he's-" Sarge's voice broke a little. This was the moment my stomach dropped. "He's in a coma. He's at Littlewood General." It was my turn to break down. I let out a breath I hadn't realised I was holding. It was like my body suddenly couldn't remember how to function, how to feel, how to move.

"Can I see him?" I couldn't wrap my head around it. 

"I'll need to ask the Superintendent..." He said carefully. "I'll get back to you." The call ended before I had a chance to reply.

I dropped my phone onto the closest surface and fell back into the chair. I still couldn't understand how this was possible. Yesterday, we were laughing in the car as we sipped coffee, we arrested a criminal we'd been following for a while. Wolfie told me he was heading to see a friend after work, and somehow he ended up comatose. I ran my hands through my hair. It was as if my life had just crumbled around me. My phone began ringing again, a number I didn't recognise flashing up on my screen. Without thinking, I answered.

"Katie?" A low, husky male voice asked.

"Yeah, who is this?" I pressed.

"Meet me at Littlewood General. Nightingale Ward, Room 18A." The call ended swiftly after the instructions. This couldn't be a coincidence...

I bypassed the receptionist at the hospital, flashing my badge as I ran down the corridor to Nightingale Ward and eyed up every room number until I got to 18A. I stood outside for a second, my chest rising and falling rapidly as I tried to compose myself. I pushed the door open and once again, my world was imploding. Wolfie, a 6ft tall burly bearded man who had the most infectious laugh and effervescent personality, was laying lifelessly on the bed. One other man was sat beside him with his head in his hands. He quickly looked up at me and for a moment he seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. 

"You came." 

"And you are?" I asked carefully, knowing very well he could have something to do with Wolfie's state. I avoided looking back at my friend, but focussed on this man who stood up and walked towards me with a military march. 

"Superintendent Douglas. I need your help." He looked back over to Wolfie. "We need your help." 

***

It didn't take long for me to agree, despite not really understanding what I was signing myself up for. The hospital team brought another bed into the room and put it next to Wolfie's. I rested on it as another man hooked wires up to my head and chest.

"Remember, you cannot get caught by this group. If you do, you'll end up like Wolfie. I need you to go in there and find him. You'll be going into his mind. You're the only person I can trust to do this. If you can't, he will never come out of this coma." I nodded affirmatively as the final checks were done. Before long, I was in his mind; In a forest in the rain.

Wolfie, If you can hear me I'm here to help you. Give me a clue, let me know where they've got you. 

The wind picked up dramatically and a leaflet blew towards me, getting caught on my boots. I grabbed it and read it. Greyson's Toy Emporium had an event last night, surely this was not a coincidence.

Following the leaflet directions, I arrived at the shop. It was strangely quiet for a toy shop; not a child in sight, no upbeat music, no toys alive and moving to attract people. I bit my lips together in anxiety as I walked further into the shop, tip toeing my way towards the back. If Wolfie was here, he wouldn't be anyway people would see him.

Okay Wolfie, I'm in this eerie toyshop.

A thump came from behind the 'Staff Only' area behind the cash register. I strode towards it, speed picking up into a light jog as I threw the door open and listened for a thud once more. This time it came from behind a door that had a danger sign displayed. I opened that carefully and headed down the dingy staircase. In the corner of the room, stock piled up around him, was an unconscious Wolfie. I ran towards him, elated at the pure sight of him, and skidded to a halt in front of his legs. He was bound to the wall with ropes that I quickly unpicked before I attempted to wake him up. 

"Come on Wolfie, fucking hell." I was getting impatient as I prodded him. I began shaking his arm, then moved to his shoulders, finally opting for some gentle slaps on his face. He finally began to stir but no sooner had his eyes opened, I heard footsteps above us.

"Katie?" He asked. "What are you-?" I cut him off by putting my hand over his mouth. His eyes moved to mine and I put a finger to my lips. 'They're here' I mouthed, removing my hand. He sat up slowly and rubbed his head. I looked around the room, desperate for any type of weapon. I picked up some cricket and baseball bats that were at the back of the room and handed one to Wolfie. The door opened and the stairs creaked under their footsteps. I hid in the shadows as Wolfie pretended to be asleep. Three men came into the room and surrounded him. 

"Get that information out of him one way or another." The first ordered. The other two moved closer to him to pick him up off the floor but Wolfie moved, swinging the bat into one of their faces. I jumped out of the shadows and cracked the baseball bat down on another's head. The first looked between us, shocked and angry as he tried to decide who to attack. He leapt for me, knocking the bat from my hand as he pummelled me with an array of punches. 

"Don't touch her." Wolfie growled as he swung the bat at him and knocked him to his knees. Wolfie grabbed my arm as soon as I'd picked up my bat and dragged me out of the basement and onto the shop floor. "There's loads of them. We need to get back to the forest."  He said, I just nodded and ran alongside him. Alarms sounded out across the shop as soon as we got to the door, attracting any person in the vicinity. "They're all part of it." He warned as he took off, readying his bat to swing while he ran. I copied him, keeping an eye out for any people trying to get to us. We were charged at by a large group of people, one managing to catch up and rugby tackle Wolfie to the floor. I swung the bat at that person instantly, yanking Wolfie to his feet as I pushed the bat into his hand quickly but it was too late... As I looked up, Wolfie beside me, the forest within eyeshot, I realised we were completely surrounded.