Chapter 1

Blessed with a Hero's Heart

A new chance

Izuku Midoriya had lived a short life full of disappointment and despair. First by being born quirkless in a world where 80% of the population had a quirk or power, second by being denied of support from his mother when she didn't give hope to his dreams, and the most painful of all, meeting his idol, and being shot down like the worthless person everyone deemed him to be; he had to admit that his mother didn't know at the time when he was diagnosed as quirkless what to say, especially when he was a crying mess. Her subsequent gain in weight was the result of the guilt she still carried from that day… and All Might had been honest about his situation, so maybe his suggestion was not wrong about becoming a cop, but it still hurt.

"What was I thinking? There is no way someone like me could ever be a hero." Izuku muttered to himself as he reached the entrance of an alley, where a crowd had formed, and a commotion was taking place… it was a villain attack!

He had done it again, even when he said he would give up. He had walked toward a place where heroes would inevitably show up; he had done it so many times that it was second nature, always taking notes to help himself become a good hero, but with what All Might had said to him, he just couldn't understand why he walked here… until he saw the villain.

"Wait… that is the same villain that… and he has Kacchan!" Izuku nearly screamed as he saw the scene, beginning to drown on guilt as he realized that this situation was his fault; if only he hadn't clung to All Might when he leaped with the villain captured in the bottle… if only he hadn't chased after his dream so stubbornly… if only he hadn't been born…

Time seemed to stop for Izuku as he caught a glimpse of Bakugo's face, how he seemed desperate, as if asking to be saved, eyes pleading for help; before he could come up with a plan, or an excuse to leave, his heart had began to work overtime. His legs moved him forward, first with two shy steps, and then a full sprint. For Izuku, it wasn't a matter of being able to do something or not, it was all about saving someone in need; not for glory, but because it was the right thing to do.

"Leave him alone!" Izuku shouted as he threw his backpack at the villain, managing to hit his eye with some of its contents. The villain wailed as the pain was too much to bear, loosening his grip on the explosive boy, and giving room for Izuku to try and grab his old friend and tormentor.

"WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!" Bakugo screamed in outrage at being assisted by none other than the one he called useless.

"I'm sorry, but you looked as if you were asking for help." Izuku meekly replied as he kept pulling at the blond troublemaker, even as the villain regained control of himself, and began to wrap itself around Bakugo again.

"DETROIT SMASH!"

All Might's voice resounded with the power of a thousand heroes, and was quickly followed by a blast of compressed air that dispersed the villain like it was nothing. Unfortunately, this attack had the effect of sending Izuku flying; the last thing he saw before blacking out, was the image of fast-approaching pipes in a trash can…

Izuku blinked a few times… wondering how he had ended up in this dark room. He was still wearing his school uniform, although now he had his backpack and no trace of the nauseating sludge was on his body. In fact, he felt as if he had been recently cleaned, he also noticed that he was sitting in what appeared to be a wooden chair, and the only visible object was a fancy chair in front of him, although it could also be called a modest throne.