Ch. 25

So. Um. With this chapter, this fic is currently the longest SoW fic on AO3.

...

I don't know how I did this? I never expected to? I knew going into this that I couldn't predict how long it would be, but... but THIS? I guess one thing I've learned while writing this is that I kinda suck at estimating the lengths of things, but... this is almost twice the length right now of my previous longest fic, a kinda garbage one from like eight years ago. And I don't? know? How??

--------------------

Ingressus had wandered the wilds of Voltaria for several days now, walking through the forests and meadows wherever his feet would take him with no true direction or destination in mind. He'd never been in a hurry, had never felt the need to be anywhere until he had found the remains of the campfire under the rocks. It surprised him how much shorter the distance seemed to be when he was actually trying to reach a certain place.

He reached the boulders with time to spare. The three Voltaris hadn't arrived yet and Ingressus leaned against the stone, his hood up but his mask pulled down. The sun hung in the sky to the southeast, still shy of its zenith, and Ingressus watched the clouds drift across the blue above as he waited, his thoughts drifting in his mind.

He had considered and re-considered his decision to remain separate from his clan many times over the years. He had run through every argument for and against it, every logical reason and reasons driven by emotions. He knew what he had decided, he knew why he had decided it. But making contact with his people had raised the question in his mind yet again. What would they think if he were to tell them he wouldn't return with them?

He would lose contact with Aegus if he returned to the mountains. Messenger birds flying to and from a Voltaris camp would be too obvious a trail for raiders to follow, and ran the risk of Aegus's involvement with him being discovered. There were plenty of reasons that Aegus might send messages to Ataraxia, but far fewer reasons he would be contacting someone in the Barrier Mountains. And even if the other Masters hadn't taken him seriously about the Prime corruption, he was still Ingressus's most influential ally. Achillean, Galleous, Kittrian, the others in Ataraxia– he was grateful for them, but none of them would have influence with the three Masters who remained his enemies. Not to mention that he would no longer have access to the clans' research in the Barrier Mountains– even if his current access only came through Galleous and Aegus.

Galleous's words that morning echoed in his head. "It's your call if you want to go back with them. Don't think you need to stick around on my account. If you don't come back I'll say your goodbyes to everyone."

Ingressus appreciated the sentiment. It wasn't the first time Galleous had assured him he was under no obligation to stay in Ataraxia, that he was free to return to his clan if he chose. But despite his questioning, he knew the choice he had made. He knew the risk of futility, but he also knew, better than ever now, the possible reward. As he had last night, he would tell his people the truth and trust that they would understand. If they wanted to debate he would listen to them, and would take into consideration the points they made. But as the situation stood, he intended to continue pursuing the resonances, even if the idea of separating again– this time by his own choice– tore at him.

He saw a figure move in the forest ahead and his eyes darted to it, but he relaxed again as he saw the red glow beneath the cloak. Shidar raised his hand in greeting and Ingressus returned the gesture, straightening as Avior and Errai appeared behind Shidar.

"I admit," Shidar said as they approached. "A part of me thought that last night was a dream."

"Then I suppose it's good you had witnesses," Ingressus observed.