Ch. 5

Ingressus woke to the sound of a rainstorm. The steady pattering of sky-borne water flowed through the caves like a river of sound, slowly rousing him from his sleep. He opened his eyes, felt something hard in his hand, and–

Oh, frostbiters!

Ingressus shot fully awake, whipping out his blade as his gaze darted around the cave, looking for blue markings, the glint of iron or diamond. He felt at his neck, feeling the pulse racing under his skin, feeling the breath rush through his lungs. He was– he was not dead. It was morning, and he wasn't dreaming; his ribs were tender from lying on them all night, and his ankle was as sore as ever. You didn't feel pain in dreams, and everyone said there was none in the afterlife. He had fallen asleep, he had woken up– and he was still alive.

Ingressus straightened, looking around. There was no blood anywhere in the cave, and even the shoddily-replanted flower was still sitting there as serenely as ever. Nothing, truly nothing had happened. Despite having fallen asleep, despite being blind to danger, he was alive. Galleous had not decided to kill him. And from what Ingressus could hear, that wasn't because the Sendaris had overslept. He could hear Galleous's tramping footsteps, and the sound of things being moved around outside.

Ingressus couldn't wait any longer. He took a deep breath, steeled himself, then grabbed his crutch and limped out of the cave. No more waiting. No more hiding. Whatever would happen to him, he wouldn't face it cowering in a corner.

Galleous was kneeling beside one of the chests, rummaging through its contents. Ingressus winced at the fist-shaped bruise darkening the skin under Galleous's eye. If there had been any hope that last night had been a dream within a dream, that hope was no more.

Galleous glanced up at Ingressus, having spotted him lingering. "Good morning."

Ingressus would look back at that moment many times over the years, and he would never be able to say why those words had snapped him. It was just such a Nether-blasted ordinary greeting, so at odds with the turmoil in his mind and the retribution he expected, that drove his nerves to and beyond the breaking point.

The words exploded out of him like a candle thrown into gunpowder. "Why are you acting like this?!"

Galleous jumped, but Ingressus barely noticed. "You're a Sendaris! You're a Champion's brother! You're not supposed to be kind! You're supposed to hate me! Why are you acting like I'm from any other clan? I'm not Sendaris, I'm Voltaris! You had no reason to save me! Your people have killed so many of mine I wouldn't even be missed! Stop dragging this out! Whatever you're going to do to me, just do it already!"

Ingressus fell silent, out of breath and words. The echoes of his shouts faded to nothingness as he shrunk into himself, clinging to his crutch. There. It was done. Galleous's true colors would show themselves at any moment. And if Ingressus were to die, he would go down fighting, like a true Voltaris.

Galleous recovered from his surprise, shooting a glance in the direction of the cave entrance. Ingressus couldn't bring himself to care if he'd been heard. Let someone come looking; anything would be better than the agony of waiting.

"Child," Galleous said. "I'm not going to harm—"

"Of course you will!" Ingressus shouted. "It's what your clans do! You think I believe you'd let me get away with attacking you? You never do that, you always get revenge!"

"You're talking about last night?" Galleous said, gesturing at his bruise. "You thought I was part of your dream, am I right? That's hardly your fault."

"What do you care? I gave you the perfect excuse!"

"Kid, please," Galleous said, with another glance at the entrance. "Listen, I'm not looking for an excuse to murder you. What kind of person do you– no, don't answer that, I already know."