Chapter 09

The next day, Jackson's voice reverberates inside my skull like a headache as he calls my name to wake me up. I can imagine the pure bliss he must be feeling from torturing me like this.

When I open my eyes, I notice it's dark outside the window. I look at the clock. It's 3:30. "You said four," I tell him. "Don't you need time to get ready?" He says with a smile before leaving.

I turn to get up but just fall off the bed onto the floor instead. I sit up rubbing my head, "Oh, Jacky, I'll get ready alright."

Sharp at four, I hear him calling for me. "Here," I shout at him from right outside the entrance. Guess who's ready first. He comes out and laughs at me. "What's that?" He says.

I look down at my standing scooter. Good thing I always have it in my car. There are many creeks in Fault Lake where there are no roads, just beams of concrete laid across the water way used for crossing by foot. And being the lazy person that I am, I always rode my scooter in those parts of the packland.

"What?" I say to Jackson, a little bit enjoying the sight of his laugh.

"You're not riding that. Not everywhere we go, it'll fit," he says.

"I'll carry it when I need to, and ride on it the rest of the way," I say.

He bites his lips, trying to think of a good excuse to make me give up on the scooter.

"Don't tell me you're worried you can't keep up with a scooter?" I say, acting surprised, "Don't you think an Alpha of Yarvey should be able to handle at least this much?"

His jaws clench. Which makes me just as happy as his laugh before. He smirks. "Its battery will wear out before we're done with even half of the day," he says and closes the front door and starts walking.

I follow him on the scooter with a smile. Of course, I know that. I also keep a couple of extra batteries in my car all the time, which have been wisely moved to my backpack now. He could run even a marathon the whole day and I'll be riding right next to him through it all, full of energy and feeling fresh like a summer breeze.

WHEN THE HALF day mark is over, I can tell he is irked by the lack of energy in me, even more so as I'm circling around him while he's on the phone. He's looking at my scooter as if he wants to grab and snap it in half.

After lunch we reach a forest. Jackson and Rick stop at the beginning of the woods. Jackson tells me, "That won't work in here."

"You leave that to me," I say smiling.

Disappointed he and his Beta go in first. I follow them conveniently on my scooter. For an untrained rider the forest floor might not be a place they'll be able to ride a standing scooter, but when it comes to riding this beauty, I'm a God.

At one point Jackson briefly loses it. "Would you just cut it out? Stop riding that thing, already," he says after stopping.

"Why?" I ask him. He looks at Rick. Rick shrugs. Then he looks back at me. "Because... because... it's making noise."

"It's an electric scooter, Jacky, it's not making any noise."

"It is when it's riding on the twigs and leaves."

"No more noise than your shoes are making."

"Are you gonna get off of it or not?" He says, challenging me.

"No."

He starts walking towards me and I reverse on my scooter. He stops. I bite my lips to stop my laughter. He reaches for me again, and I reverse and stop.

Finally he gives up and decides to turn back, but then suddenly looks smugly at me.

He starts taking off his shirt. Then his belt. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I would love to see him strip but if I stay for the full show I'll lose my head start, and I definitely need it now. I turn around on my scooter and go ahead on maximum speed.

Soon enough, I hear the steps of a big ass wolf chasing me.

Now, now, I know my scooter can still outrun him even if he was a Cheetah. However, that's on an even plain. On the forest floor, I need to maneuver around things more than him who can just easily jump over hurdles in his wolf form. All I need to do is to manage to stay ahead of him until I'm clear off the forest, and then it'll be a lost race for that arrogant Alpha.

A moment later, I see it. The spot where we entered the forest. I head for it, full force. Twenty feet away. Ten feet away. Five.

Boom.

I find myself on the ground with my scooter next to me, its wheels still spinning in the air. I raise on my elbows. Jackson's wolf comes close. It grabs my scooter with its muzzle. "Don't—"

He snaps it in half and leaves.

I lie back down on the ground. You did good, Scooty. You did good. After a bit of rest I pick up the two parts and take it back to the house. I'm sure it can be fixed since his wolf's jaws' force was strong enough to give it a clean break.

I enter my room, put down the parts at the side of my bed before falling asleep.

Next day, when I wake up, it's late morning. I look at the floor; the parts are gone.

Where did they go? Don't tell me, he threw them into the trash or something?

I hurriedly get out of the room, and see Wren at the kitchen. "Where's Jackson?" I say.

"He's gone to work. Don't worry you can rest today. I heard he broke your scooter yesterday," he says, a little laughing.

"Where's my scooter's parts? It was in my room."

"He has taken them to the repair shop. He'll have it fixed," Wren says, "I know you won't hear this from him, but he's sorry he broke it."

I sit down at the counter sighing. "If he's sorry, he shouldn't have broken it in the first place. Especially after knocking me off of it."

Wren laughs. "I gotta admit though, following him around all day on a scooter, that was brilliant. You put him in his place at the end. He took his car today like a normal guy."

"So he does have a car."

"Of course, he has a car. Three in fact."

"Your friend is a jerk."

"Of course, he is." 

End of chapter