Chapter 10

At some point in the middle of the night, I regained consciousness and recalled the circumstances that had placed me here. Eventually I fell back to sleep and woke up again at about nine in the morning to find myself still alone in the compound clinic. But judging by the lack of tubes and wires roaming over me now, I guessed someone had been here this morning and removed them. 

  Did that mean I could leave?

  I carefully rose from the bed, examining the bandage on my hand briefly before toeing on my shoes. I snagged my coat from a chair, then emerged from the room, foolishly feeling like a teenager sneaking out of the house. But what else was I supposed to do? Spending the day sitting around waiting for someone to tell me what I already knew seemed senseless.

  There was a woman at a desk outside my room, and when she saw me, she stood immediately.

  “Melanie, you're up. How are you feeling?” She came around the desk to stand beside me.

  “I’m Fine. Is everything okay?”

  She placed her hands in her coat pockets. “Yes. You checked out last night about an hour after you were brought in. Do you remember what happened?”

  “I went hiking and got lost. I think I remember hearing Ian find me. Everything else is kinda foggy.”

  “That’s okay. Your blood pressure and body temperature were abnormally low, but we stabilized both without complications. I also bandaged the laceration on your hand, which didn’t require any sutures. I don’t mind releasing you today as long as if you start to feel any sickness with flu-like symptoms, you will return. Or if you have any other concerns.”

  I nodded. “Okay. Thank you.”

  “Just one more thing.” She twisted, then reached over her desk for a sheet of paper. “You have to sign your release form too.”

  I did what was required of me, then followed the hall for the exit. My stomach was making terrible noises, clearly deprived for hours, but with the mention of my brother’s name earlier, I recalled the interview. Prioritizing, I made my way through the courtyard, reaching the administrative building, then entering it.

  Ian would likely want to see me anyway, and I needed to thank him for saving my ass.

  Sitting at the front desk was a woman who immediately switched her attention from a familiar redhead to me with a polite smile. I all but wanted to glare at the other woman leaning on the front of the desk, but I figured it was better not to acknowledge her at all.

  “Can I help you?” the woman behind the desk professionally asked.

  “Is Ian around?” 

  “Who's asking?” the redhead wondered.

  My eyes flashed to her, then back to the polite woman doing her job. “I’m his sister. He asked me to come by today.”

  The redhead seemed to straighten her spine at the mention of my title. It gave me a satisfying feeling that she was put in her place with three little words. 

  “He didn’t advise me of a personal appointment. Please hold on for one minute while I confirm with him.”

  Nodding, I smiled at her.

  She sat on the phone for a minute as it rang, but with no answer, she hung it up. “He must be in the bathroom. Let me step into his office for a moment.”

  Reasonably, I was patient. “Thank you.”

  I fixed my shirt while she walked away.

  “I’m Julie,” the woman I was left standing with said.