Chapter 7

For the majority of the day, I played in the arcade room, determined to break the high score of the Pac-Man machine, until my hand started to cramp up in protest. There were several others in the room, most of them around one of the large poker tables. Every once in a while they would cause a loud commotion, and I would look to find them disagreeing on something or excited about the outcome of the cards.

Both Ian and I were skilled in poker thanks to our dad's love of it. Five cards was one of my favorites, and I considered entering one of the games but decided against it because I wasn't acquainted with any of the faces sitting around the table. Maybe another time.

Later after returning to my room, I laid on the bed and finished the book I had taken from the library. I needed to return it before I forgot or someone discovered it was missing. That was unlikely, but I still wasn't sure of the rules about checking out books and didn't want to get in trouble over a damn book that didn't even end well.

I decided to return it before going to eat dinner, but on the way to the library, I ran into my brother in a hallway.

"Hey, busy man."

"Where are you headed?" he wondered.

I lifted the book in my hand. "Taking this back to the library real quick. What are you doing out of the office? Don't you sleep and eat there?"

"Sometimes. I'm sorry about last night. I really did forget you were there."

I shrugged, too bored to give him a hard time. "It worked out."

"I heard Alex brought you back. How'd that go?"

"Fine," I clipped. "Are you keeping tabs on me or something?" I questioned suspicious.

"No." He didn't sound that convincing.

"You don't have him secretly babysitting me?" I accused.

"Alex? Hell no! He's the last person I would give that assignment to."

"You don't like him?" I asked in an uninterested tone, hopeful to conceal that I was aware of his expected answers already.
"Alex is fine," he aspirated. "He does his job as well as everyone else around here," he huffed.

Oh man, that looked like it hurt him to say.

"So what's the problem?"

His mood shifted, suddenly lightening up as he teased me. "What's up with the newfound interest in him? Are you developing a crush?"

"No," I answered slowly. I didn't know if I was more surprised by him insinuating the idea out loud or that he didn't seem bothered by it.

"Alex is young and arrogant," he explained. "He thinks he's better than most wolves-myself included-and that can create a flaw in the system."

"So y'all's issues revolve around ego?" I snorted. "And everyone calls me the kid around here," I mocked, shaking my head.

"What's your interest in Alex?" he snapped, less friendly. Clearly insulted by my comment.

"Nothing. He gave me a ride and mentioned your disapproval of him. I was naturally curious as to why."

"What did he say?"

"That you didn't like him," I repeated in a tone that suggested he was a slow processor.

"You're a brat," he called out, walking away from me, annoyed.

"I wonder where I learned it."

Mentally, I high-fived myself. He was an obtuse jerk if there ever was one.