Chapter 5: My Son, My Baby

"Lady (Y/N), you must sit down!" Sakura yelled in a panicked and urgent tone. She held onto me tightly as if she thought that I would disappear as soon as she let go. It reminds me of when all these children first came here; when they would have nightmares every night. They would all hold onto me the exact same way, finding it hard to believe that they were alive and they had a place to call home.

My shoulders became a little more stiff before they slackened at the memories, finding myself more exhausted than I thought I was. She leads me away from the front door and towards a chair in the dining room. As soon as I sit down, it feels like I'm holding millions of weights on me. My arms hang by my sides, my usual straight posture goes slack, and I can barely even keep my eyes open.

"But... My son, he's in danger! I have to find Aiko. He needs to be gone! He has caused enough damage to the family. My son will never be safe again until because of him! I hate him, I hate him!" Before I could stop myself, I banged my fist against the table. All I can feel is sadness and regret as I hear Ichika and Kiyoko both jump at my actions.

"Listen to me when I speak to you, (Y/N)!"

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just want my son." I start to cry in despair and longing. The hands that felt like dead weight suddenly became strong enough to wipe my own tears and cover my face. Though it proves as useless since even more tears just keep falling. I can already feel my eyes beginning to sting, and for a second it almost makes me feel human.

After a few seconds, I feel two small arms wrap around me, who I recognize as Ichika's. Then all of the other children follow as they hold onto me tightly when I start sobbing. I can only imagine how pitiful I look to them, with ugly fat tears rolling down my face. Usually I would be concerned about hurting them, because my hands are gripping onto their arms so tightly it almost surprises me that no one complains about it hurting, but I can't will myself to let go.

It's been a couple of days since the news. I haven't slept nor eaten because of the new found danger for my son. Every time I've tried it's left me sick to my stomach. So instead, I've been taking up more missions, asking both demons and demon slayers alike about what they've heard about him. Some demons don't have a clue, while the others were just ordered to kill him if they happen to come across him. Demon slayers however, don't answer any of my questions. In fact, they get too focused on the fact that I'm a demon that they don't even bother to listen to what I say.

I've gotten more tired and exhausted by the day that instead of making conversation like usual, I end up getting more and more frustrated and less patient with both demons and demon slayers. As soon as I come home I feel about ready to collapse, which has caused the children to decide to take matters into their own hands and get me to sit down and rest.

"I'm so sorry you've had to see me like this." I manage to say as my sobs start to slow down. They all hold on a little tighter at my words. Everyone seems to be extremely worried about the state I'm in, if I'm reading their faces correctly. Can't exactly blame them for it, considering I've never even shed a tear in front of them before. Much less sob.

"Don't apologize, Lady (Y/N). We just need you to get better. Zenitsu needs you to get better. You can't protect anybody while you're like this." Aina says gently, pulling away to get a better look at me once she sees I'm no longer crying. I must be in really bad shape because her worry begins to show even more.

"Get some rest. We promise that we'll wake you up if anything happens. Please just lay down." I sigh and nod, too tired to argue. They all smile at me gently and help me to my room. Each step I take feels like a tremendous burden that gets heavier and heavier, but their unwaivering grip gives me the will to keep going. When I finally make it to my bed, I'm out like a light as soon as my head hits the pillow.