Can't help but want you

Lucien had been going back and forth between the Night and Springs courts, grappling with the arduous task of convincing, or maybe forcing -he was no longer certain whether he had crossed that line already- Tamlin to get help organizing Calanmai. Up to a point, his plan seemed to be working. Tamlin had somehow surrendered, letting go of his resistance. It seemed that the preparations for Calanmai had revived him a little. He still missed that sparkle in his eyes that always accompanied him during the holiday, even when their lands had been cursed, but maybe it was going to come back once he took his role in the ritual, with his full magic on display for the first time after half a century.

Lucien tried his best not to think about what had happened last time, when he had been forced to participate. He would have gladly avoided even witnessing it at all this year, but he did not seem to have much choice in the matter. He had hated that feeling of losing control and the animalistic instinct the ritual had instilled in him. He remembered little of what had happened that night, but the sense of dread he had felt once the magic had worn off… It was a little too similar to what he felt at Starfall some weeks ago. He had no idea what had gotten into him. He hadn't seen Elain since and he almost feared the moment he would meet her again. Good thing she wasn't eager to see him either.

The festival was only a few days away and people were buzzing for the great return of the High Lord. There were females in small groups already strolling around where the large bonfires were being set up, peering towards Tamlin's Manor, hoping to catch even the smallest glimpse of him.

Lucien could feel the atmosphere quivering with magic. The flowers were blooming faster than usual, their colors shining. He would have loved for Elain to see them, for her to have a chance to see the Spring Court like this, but he would never wish for her to be around when the magic demanded to be released.

Slowly, he reached the manor that was once his home. He slalomed among the servants who were working to make it presentable again in record time. No one paid any attention to him. He reached Tamlin's office, not waiting to knock before slipping inside.

His friend sat at a table with a series of open books in front of him, which he closed as soon as he saw him at the door. Lucien sighed but didn't dare to ask what he was reading about.

"Preparations are going well."

Tamlin brushed back a strand of blond hair. He hadn't cut it since Hybern, but Lucien was grateful enough that he had at least shaved for the occasion, so he didn't push the matter. Females loved it long anyways.

Green eyes squared him from head to toe. "Are you going to force me to participate in the ritual?"

Lucien took a seat in a comfortable chair in front of him, getting ready to go through the subject one more time. "You are the High Lord, and you have no idea how many gorgeous young fae are already hanging around outside. They are all excited about your great return."

Tamlin tightened his lips. "It wasn't so bad when you replaced me."

"I can't do that and you know it."

"Because your sweet mate will be jealous?" his eyes narrowed into two slits. "Or maybe because she will be here too? She likes flowers, right? You could do the honors, I'll step aside."

"Tam-"

"I take it you two haven't talked about what happened".

Lucien struggled to keep his gaze impassive. He hadn't wanted Tamlin to know the details about his relationship with Elain. There wasn't even much to know… Yet, when he had come back here after that night, nothing he could have done could have prevented his friend from knowing his head had just been buried between her wonderful tights. Just the memory of him going down on Elain set in blood on fire, his mind drifting to dangerous fantasies…