Falling for you was my mistake

The residence in which Tamlin had placed Feyre's family was decadent to say the least.

Decadent seemed an all too humble term to describe the huge manor house surrounded by a large garden, the perfectly cut grass, the greenery shining against the blue sky and, despite the winter season, the bright colors of the flowers that adorned the flower beds.

Rhys had briefly described the details of that mission to him, and he had heard enough stories about Feyre's family, about her inept father and older sisters who had let her venture alone into the forest, to wish that unpleasant encounter would end as soon as possible.

He hid in his shadows not far from the front door, while Rhys and Cassian checked the perimeter flying around the estate. They had to make sure that no one in the huge array of servants that Tamlin had taken great care to maintain and finance noticed their presence, nor the unusual appearance of the youngest of the Archeron sisters.

A young, light voice soon reached the maid, Mrs Laurent, at the front door. He heard Feyre greet her sister.

"Elain."

There was surprise and pain in her tone of voice as she uttered the name. A gust of wind pushed a mix of smells into his nostrils. The smell of the woman, Mrs Laurent, betrayed a hint of fear in her stern demeanor. After an initial moment of surprise, a similar smell came from the younger human. Despite that, her scent was one of the sweetest he had ever felt.

She smelled of cherry, roses and freshly baked cake. She must be the one who loves flowers, according to Feyre's stories. He had never bothered to remember her name, yet now he couldn't imagine another combination of letters associated with that scent. Even his shadows whispered it to him, and he felt an urge to taste the word on his tongue.

Elain

Her scent was so different from Feyre's. Even her voice betrayed a youthfulness that her younger sister seemed to have lost.

He smelled fresh tears running down her face.

"Please Laurent, prepare some tea and bring it to the living room."

Those words were followed by the sound of footsteps moving away. He let his shadows report to him the conversation between the two sisters, who now spoke so softly to each other that his fae ears struggled to hear.

Another person had now joined them. The third sister, the eldest.

"Where is our father?" asked Feyre.

"In Neva."

The eldest's tone of voice was so icy that it made the blood freeze in his veins.

The front door closed behind them, and his wings led him outside the nearest window, his shadows always making sure the situation was under control.

They needed the servants to leave the manor so that they could finally talk and discuss what to do. Given the number of people currently working here, that would not be quick.

Cassian and Rhys joined him on the roof while the three sisters were having tea. Feyre had just finished telling them about Tamlin when Cassian confirmed that the perimeter was secure.

"How's it going?" asked Rhys.

Azriel could see the worry behind those violet eyes, the fear that Feyre would suffer at the hands of her sisters.

He lifted his shoulders. "The eldest is giving her a hard time. But-"

He froze, concentrating on the words his shadows brought back. He could hear through them the echo of that voice as velvety as melted chocolate, contrasting with her older sister's sharp one.