Chapter 6

12 years ago

Marching band season has come to an end. I arrived to first period to discover that we get the whole week off from rehearsals to celebrate winning our final football game of the season last Friday.  I am excited to have this morning off with an extra 45 minutes to finish my biology homework that I totally forgot to do.  

I find a spot beneath my band locker and settle in with my homework paper so I can begin labeling the parts of the cell. I reach in my bag for my biology binder so I have a hard surface to write on and get one of my sparkly pencils from the depths of my backpack before settling in. I pop in a headphone to list to music while I work. 

Before long, my friends Casey and Payton from the color guard find their way over to me.  They plop down with their backs against the lockers just like me.  Peyton pulls the headphone out of my ear. "Whatcha doing?" Peyton asks.

Casey peers over my shoulder to glimpse what I'm working on. "Ooo is that for Mr. Kumar's class? I have him 4th period. I'd be happy to help you." 

I smile and hand my paper over to Casey. "That would be great! I lowly only remember the mitochondria. Everything else is kind of blurring together." 

Casey digs in her backpack to find her own copy of the assignment. "Anytime.  Especially if that time helps me avoid removing tape off of flag poles with Natalie and Emily. I'd like to leave today with my fingernails in tact thank you very much.

Peyton nods her head in agreeance. "Yeah anything to get out of that room it is beyond tense right now.  Apparently there are rumors going around that Emily slept with Natalie's Boyfriend after the band party on Friday. I have no desire to be an accomplice to murder if she decides to use a flag pole to get revenge."

I laugh as I begin filling in some of the answers Casey shows me.My pencil breaks so I reach in my bag to find a pencil sharpener. As I sharpen, I say "You color guard girls are so full of drama at all times. I'm going to miss you now that the season is over." 

"Same here," Payton responds. "A study hall for the remainder of the year is not nearly as exciting as band rehearsals. Not that I loved the loud noises at 8am everyday, but the fresh air is preferable to the body odor and moldy food smells that suffocate the study hall room. If only it had windows. 

I finish my homework and give Casey back her copy. After we place them back in our backpacks, she says excitedly "Well I don't know about you, but I've decided I want to join a winter sports team. I need something to fill my days with and also want to try something new. Color guard turned out to be a great experience for me so I think I want to keep the punches rolling."

"What exactly did you have in mind?" Payton asks. "I've seen you try to throw wrappers in the trash can n the guard room so I sure hope you don't have your hopes set on basketball." 

Casey leans over me so she can smack Peyton on the arm. "Hurtful. And no. I'm not thinking about trying out for the basketball team. I was thinking about the swim team. Don't you swim Jenna? We could do it together!" 

I avoid making eye contact with her as I double check that my backpack is zipped. "I mean I do in the summers for a rec team but I'll be honest. I really wasn't planning to join the high school team. It's never really been my favorite sport."

"What?" Casey begins to stand up as we notice everyone starting to gather by the band room door. The bell would be ringing any second. "You have to! It would be so much fun! We could share a lane and you could help teach me how to swim! WE could cheer each other on and meet cute swimmer boys!" 

I stand up to join her while slinging my backpack over one shoulder. "Yeah, but are you really ready to smell like chlorine nonstop for the next 4 months? Or to have your hair be unmanageable due to how dried out it is? Let's not forget you will be hungry all the time."